5ive Girls is a 2006 Canadian horror film starring Ron Perlman, Jennifer Miller and Jordan Madley, written and directed by Warren P. Sonoda. Produced on a budget of $3,000,000, it has a runtime of 95 minutes.
In St. Mark’s Catholic boarding school for girls, the religious student Elizabeth is attacked by evil forces and disappears from the classroom and the impotent Father Drake is incapable of saving her. The school is closed and five years later it is reopened. Five troubled unwanted girls - Alex, Mara, the blind Cecilia, Leah and Connie - are left by their family in the institution, severely directed by the headmistress Miss Pearce with hands of iron. Father Drake is their teacher and the girls are forbidden to go to the mysterious third floor. When Alex has visions of the possessed Elizabeth, weird things happen in the spot and the girls have to fight against a legion of two thousand demons.
5ive Girls has been available on DVD since March 6, 2007.
Tropes associated with this work include:
- Academy of Adventure: Takes place entirely inside St. Mark's: a Catholic Boarding School of Horrors for girls.
- Back from the Dead: In the end, Elizabeth is resurrected.
- Big "NO!": Right at the end, Elizabeth screams this as Legion takes Virgil.
- Blind Seer: Cecilia is blind and her supernatural power is the essentially this, called "second sight".
- Boarding School of Horrors: Set in a Christian reform school for girls with supernatural powers run by a strict teacher who doesn't spare the rod.
- Bottle Episode: The entire movie takes place at the school, using at total of 10 actors including extras.
- Doom Magnet: Connie is a "conduit", or a magnet for supernatural activity, equating to this. It is her power that draws the demon Legion to the girls.
- Healing Hands: Mara has healing powers, such as those she uses on Alex after her beating.
- Intangible Man: Leah can pass through solid objects, barring doors or walls.
- Letters 2 Numbers: The title.
- Mind over Matter: Alex's supernatural power is telekinesis.
- My Verbin' Noun: Mara complains that someone "broke my healing hand".
- One-Gender School: Takes place entirely inside St. Mark's: a Catholic Boarding School of Horrors for girls.
- Out-of-Character Alert: When a blind woman asks about a circle drawn on the floor.
- Pervy Patdown: On arrival, all five girls are made to strip to their underwear by Miss Pearce, who then gives them a Pervy Patdown before providing their school uniforms.
- Preserve Your Gays: Mara is the only person who lives past the ending, despite being a lesbian.
- Public Domain Character: The Big Bad is Legion from Mark 5:9 and Luke 8:30.
- Shameful Strip: On arrival, all five girls are made to strip to their underwear by Miss Pearce, who then gives them a pervy patdown before providing their school uniforms.
- Tainted Veins: One of the signs of the Big Bad's influence is black veins showing through the girls' skin.
- Throw the Book at Them: Cecilia throws a heavy book at the head of the possessed Leah, aiming at the sound of her voice. She then uses the book to pound Leah's head in.
- Title Drop: Release the binds on the one lost / Take five girls as the cost.
- Two-Teacher School: The only staff at St. Mark's are Headmistress Pierce, Father Drake, and Virgil the caretaker. But, then again, there are only five students.
- Voice of the Legion: the girls start to speak like this when possessed. Appropriately, given the Big Bad is Legion.