Not to be confused with the 2004 Black Comedy of the same name starring Matt Dillon.
This film provides examples of:
- The Ace: Vince at least seems to be this.
- Brick Joke: Semi, the store's Gentle Giant security guard, is asked in the beginning of the movie by Vince that if his nickname comes from the fact that he's as big as a semi truck, or if he's "semi-retarded." At the end of the movie after Vince is exposed for under-ringing items in both the competition and in his job, Semi tackles him while he tries to escape, resulting in Vince commenting "So that's why they call you Semi."
- Chekhov's Gunman: Semi proves that Vince has been giving away free merchandise to customers for years.
- Defeat Means Menial Labor: Vince ends the film fired from the store and put in a comparatively crappier job as a probation employee in a comparatively crappier store on the other side of town.
- The Dog Bites Back: At the end, after Vince is fired and put on probation for stealing, Jorge finally stands up to him.
- The Dragon: Jorge is this to Vince.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Vince is eventually brought down by his own arrogance, as his overly show-off style of scanning items includes passing them behind his back, which inadvertently causes them to not be scanned, thereby giving away groceries for free.
- Race Against Time: Zack trying to get to work on time after Vince dials back his alarm clock.
- Smug Snake: Vince.