Eega (Housefly) is a 2012 Telugu-language film and one of the most successful and popular films to come out of Tollywood.
Sweet guy Nani (Nani) is in love with his beautiful neighbor across-the-street, Bindu (Samantha), an aspiring microartist working at an NGO. Bindu solicits donations for her group from wealthy businessman and womanizer Sudeep, who begins to lust after her. Upon realizing Nani is a rival for Bindu's affection, Sudeep kills him. But before Nani dies, Bindu sends him a text saying she loves him, and The Power of Love lets him reincarnate as a housefly in order to protect her and get his revenge against Sudeep
Tropes featured in this movie include:
- Badass Adorable: Nani in fly form.
- Brainy Brunette: Bindu.
- Break the Haughty: Fly!Nani's plan for punishing Sudeep
- Chekhov's Gun: About as literal an example as you can get. Sudeep is an expert marksman with an extensive gun collection. Later he attempts to hunt Nani down with a shotgun and a pair of vision-enhancing goggles.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Nani's revenge on Sudeep
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Sudeep, the CEO of a construction company, isn't above bribery and murder when it comes to getting his way.
- Cursed with Awesome: Nani figures out how to take advantage of his fly form to drive Sudeep insane
- The Determinator: Nani is going to get his revenge, despite being, y'know...a fly.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Girl you're interested rejects you for another guy? MURDER!
- Establishing Character Moment: Sudeep's first scene in the movie takes place at a firing range and involves him being a jerk to his valet and feeling up a female shooter.
- Eye Scream: At one point fly-Nani stabs a person in the eye with a sewing needle.
- Genre Shift: The first thirty minutes come across as a romantic comedy, with Bindu having to decide between sweet-but-poor Nani and wealthy Jerkass Sudeep. Then Nani dies and it turns into fantasy/action/revenge.
- Grotesque Cute: Fly!Nani, again.
- Interspecies Romance: Nani and Bindu, post-fly rebirth.
- Jerkass: Sudeep.
- Make It Look Like an Accident: Sudeep says this word-for-word to his henchmen after killing Nani. Once reincarnated, Nani uses his fly form to push Sudeep into life-threatening situations that would have looked like accidents to outside observers (car crash, falling off a building, etc)
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Sudeep kills Nani to get to Bindu but didn't count on reincarnation
- Reincarnation Romance: Probably one of the odder examples.
- Sexy Soaked Shirt: Male example. During a love song with Bindu Nani falls fully clothed into a kiddie pool then dances around while soaking wet. He later gets one when he's a fly, complete with slow motion and hair flipping.
- Stalker with a Crush: Nani can come across this way in the beginning. He's been pursuing Bindu for over two years despite Bindu's indications she's not interested, he comes to her workplace and sends her romantic texts while they're talking, he follows her to a temple and later a restaurant where she is clearly on a date and interprets her ignoring him as signs of interest.
- Til Murder Do Us Part: Sudeep admits to his bodyguard that he killed his first wife for her money.