Aleksei is a socially inept young adult who lives with his grandmother. One fateful day he is offered to take part in a secret experiment, which brings hope into his monotonous existence. But his attempts to repeat the experiment only drive him deeper into despair.
This film provides examples of:
- Cringe Comedy: Or Cringe Drama.
- Cult: Complete with a cheerful song about God.
- Gainax Ending: The film ends with Aleksei being subjected to the experiment once again, but instead of his body changing, he is shown watching Petrosyan with his grandmother.
- I Just Want to Be Beautiful: Bordering on insanity.
- Lawyer-Friendly Cameo: Aleksei's grandmother is often seen watching Evgeny Petrosyan on TV.
- Manchild: Aleksei. Even his work involves assembling toys. His hobby is pretty much the same.
- The psychologist, in a different way.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Subverted with the psychologist. She is a cheerful, eccentric girl who tries to bring Aleksei from despair. However, her motives are not entirely selfless: she wants to learn more about the Experiment. She ends up being assaulted (not in sexual way) by Aleksei, who wants the same thing.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Misha defrosting a fridge.
- No Budget: $3,000.
- No Name Given: Most characters are not mentioned by names.
- Mind Screw
- Poor Communication Kills: Nearly literary. Aleksei almost gets his training partner killed by being too shy to immediately tell the trainer that he collapsed.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Either this or simply "Shaggy Dog" Story. The ending is highly ambiguous.