Double Obsession is a B-Movie thriller directed by Eduardo Montes-Bradley and released Direct to Video in 1994.
Heather Dwyer (Margaux Hemingway), a librarian, is obsessed with Claire Burke (Maryam d'Abo), her former college roommate at Freudville University ten years earlier in 1981. She has since diverted her obsession onto another young woman, Sherry, breaks her foot to keep her incapacitated, then starts killing off people she delusionally believes are intruding in their "relationship".
Double Obsession provides examples of the following tropes:
- The '80s: The flashbacks are set in 1981.
- The '90s: The film's Present Day is set in 1991.
- Agony of the Feet: Heather twists Sherry's foot to prevent her from escaping.
- Based on a Great Big Lie: There's no well known case the movie could have been based off at the time, but the tagline still said "A terrifying true-story".
- Cluster F-Bomb: Heather lets out several "fucking" words to Claire after getting drunk at the bar upon seeing her there with her boyfriend.
- Descriptiveville: Freudville University. To cement where the name comes from, there's a portrait of Sigmund Freud on the wall of Heather's and Claire's room.
- Fictional Province: "Freudville University" doesn't exist in Real Life.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Heather is really Not Good with Rejection, to violent outcomes.
- Naked People Trapped Outside: When she arrived at Freudville University in 1981 and searched for her room, Claire bumped into a naked guy who got thrown out of his room (or a female student's room?) and got locked outside.
- Psycho Lesbian: Heather was deeply obsessed with Claire and repeats the pattern with Sherry to the point of murdering people who get in the way.
- Replacement Goldfish: Heather kidnaps Sherry and calls her "Claire", clearly projecting the feelings she had for Claire on her.
- Self-Harm: In 1981, Heather put a burning cigar on her own throat when Claire told her she was going out with her (Claire's) boyfriend.
- Stalker with a Crush: Heather starts stalking Claire again ten years after they were college roommates.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Back when they were roommates at Freudville University, Heather was rather tomboyish and wore pants while Claire was the most conventionally feminine of the two and wore skirts and dresses.
- Wicked Cultured: Heather is a Psycho Lesbian and a knowledgeable librarian. She tried bonding with Claire over poetry and literature back in 1981, but it didn't work.