Devil's Prey is a 2001 horror B-Movie of the slasher variety. It revolves around five college kids who get invited to a rave and run into a girl who claims to have escaped from a group of Devil worshippers called "The Shadows" who were planning to sacrifice her. The Shadows waste no time in tracking down the girl and want to capture the rest of the kids for helping her.
The film veers into So Bad, It's Good territory given its obvious low budget and patchy acting but it still manages to entertain with its good plot and actual Character Development unusual for a slasher film.
This film provides examples of:
- Action Survivor: Susan proves pretty good at escaping from the cult members whenever they attack. She even becomes a Damsel out of Distress towards the end.
- Adults Are Useless: The kids stop in a small town where nearly every resident belongs to the cult. And the sheriff is an asshole.
- Alpha Bitch: Sam could count as a deconstruction. While she fits the bill — blonde, bitchy, rich father — she breaks down in the film and says that her father never pays any attention to her except when she's got herself in trouble and she says that she doesn't want to end up like her parents.
- Asshole Victim: Subverted pretty uniquely for a standard slasher film; Eric and Sam are the asshole couple for the majority of the film with Eric being the drug dealer on parole and Sam just being a Rich Bitch. Then once they're alone Sam admits she doesn't want to depend on her father for everything and Eric admits he wants to turn his life around. Then they get killed off.
- Black Bra and Panties: Fawn changes into these after her Face–Heel Turn. She wears them for her sex scene with Seth..
- Black Dude Dies First: Joe, the fifth wheel in the group lasts only two minutes after they find Fawn.
- Blood-Splattered Wedding Dress: Not actually a wedding dress but Fawn is dressed in a white gown when the kids find her. The blood may be fake though.
- Death by Pragmatism: Joe admits he's been in juvey about two minutes before he's killed off.
- Designated Girl Fight: Susan delivers the killing blow to Fawn.
- Dressing as the Enemy: Susan takes one of the cult member's robes.
- Every Car Is a Pinto: Eric manages to blow up a barn with a truck.
- Evil Wears Black: The Shadows of course wear long black cloaks.
- Face–Heel Turn: Fawn, Seth, Grace and Eli are all revealed to be members of the cult as well.
- Fan Disservice: Fawn and Seth's sex scene intercut with clips of Sam being sliced up.
- Fanservice: The topless dancers at the rave.
- Final Girl: We can pretty much guess who will live within the first five minutes. David lives as well, so it's not played 100% straight.
- Go-Go Enslavement: The cult dresses its female sacrifices in skimpy black costumes for the ceremony.
- Human Sacrifice: The plot involves the cult members sacrificing people to Satan.
- Police Are Useless: Played with. The sheriff is the only member of town not in the cult, but he gets killed before he can help.
- Precision F-Strike: Fawn upon reveal of the Face–Heel Turn."Get that fucking bitch!"
- Redemption Equals Death: Eric redeems himself by pulling a Heroic Sacrifice to save David and Susan.
- Religion of Evil: The cult - who sacrifice three people in the space of about one day - and are planning to kill even more all in the name of appeasing Satan.
- Shirtless Captives: Joe is shirtless when he's seen being sacrificed by the cult.
- Sinister Minister: Seth poses as a Good Shepherd but is really the leader of the cult.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Fawn poses as a sacrifice in order to lure more victims to the cult.