Devil Girl from Mars is a 1954 black-and-white science fiction B-Movie.
An innkeeping couple, a female bartender, a model, a scientist, a journalist, an escaped murderer and a little boy are at an inn in the moors of Scotland. Minding their own business, a UFO lands in the dead of night, from whence emerges Nyah, the titular Devil Girl from Mars, a space-queen with dominatrix boots and patent-leather cape, not to mention her highbrow imperious accent and headgear. Upon her homeworld, a war between the genders has decimated the male population, so Nyah, accompanied by her Tin-Can Robot Chani, has come in search of earth men for breeding stock. Mars Needs Men!
Was adapted - believe it or not - from a stage play. Oh, and it was the first science fiction film Gerry Anderson ever worked on (as sound editor).
This film provides examples of:
- Aliens in Cardiff: In fairness, Nyah wasn't intending to end up in a small village in the Scottish moors. Her spacecraft collided with an aircraft while entering the atmosphere so landed her damaged craft there, and now has to make the best of a bad situation.
- Aliens Speaking English: Lampshaded, and borderline-parodied:Man: You speak English?
Nyah: Of course!
Man: What about other languages?
Nyah: No; why should I?
- Anti-Villain: Nyah is really just trying to save her race.
- The Baroness: The leather-clad Nyah.
- Clear My Name: Albert's backstory; he continues to proclaim he didn't do it, but by the time of his jailbreak and Nyah's arrival he has all but given up on proving his innocence and just wants to go away and be left alone.
- Closed Circle: Nyah throws up a shield that prevents anyone from leaving or entering the vicinity of the inn.
- Covers Always Lie: See that poster up there? Nyah's outfit isn't nearly that form-fitting, Chani doesn't look like that, there aren't multiple spaceships, and no one throws themselves at anyone's feet.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Albert (the escaped murderer) goes as Nyah's captive on her spaceship and causes its power source to explode, killing himself but saving the Earth.
- Human Aliens: Nyah is human looking, and speaks perfect RP English (and every other Earth language apparently).
- Immune to Bullets: Michael empties a revolver in Nyah's direction, with no effect whatsoever.
- Lady Land: Women taking power on Mars caused all the men to become impotent. Right...
- Only You Can Repopulate My Race: The locals don't seem very eager for this, and the womenfolk aren't willing to give up their men either.
- Puny EarthlingsNyah: It amuses me to watch your puny efforts!
- Techno Babble: How Nyah explains what powers the spaceship to The Professor.
- Tin-Can Robot: Chani is more of the giant mailbox variety.
- Two of Your Earth Minutes: Nyah speaks perfect English, and claims to be capable of speaking all languages, but 'Earth' hours and minutes apparently merit the adjective.