Desert Flower is a 2009 film based upon the former Somali-born top model and human-rights activist Waris Dirie's bestselling autobiography of the same name.
The film shows Waris' escape from the African desert to London, where she becomes a successful fashion model, and her activism against female circumcision.
This film provides examples of:
- Arranged Marriage: Waris flees from one to Mogadishu and eventually, London.
- Based on a True Story: It's Dirie's autobiography, with a few names changed.
- Citizenship Marriage: Waris marries Neil to avoid departure to Somalia.
- Cool Big Sis: Marilyn is always nothing but supportive to Waris.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Hopeless Suitor: Poor, poor Neil.
- Rags to Riches: She literally goes from cleaning lady to top model
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Neil and Waris.