Deerskin (French: Le Daim) is a 2019 comedy directed by Quentin Dupieux.
Georges (Jean Dujardin) leaves his place and wife and buys an expensive deerskin jacket, blowing his life savings. Penniless, he settles in a rural place and cons people for money while claiming to be a film director. Denise (Adèle Haenel), a waitress who works in a bar, happens to be interested in filmmaking.
Georges then develops an obsession with his jacket and starts doing weird things.
This film provides examples of:
- Comically Missing the Point: George sometimes answers questions in an absurdly literal manner.
- Retro Universe: Some of the cars, cameras and screens look quite dated. Dupieux previously took this further in Keep An Eye Out.
- Shout-Out: To Albert Dupontel's Bernie (1996). George sharpens his fan blade against the road while driving.
- Taking Up the Mantle: A very literal example. Denise takes the deerskin jacket when George dies.
- Would Hurt a Child: George throws a rock at a child who was staring at him.