Deep Blue Sea 2 is a 2018 American shark horror film and a sequel to the 1999 film Deep Blue Sea. It is directed by Darin Scott and written by Hans Rodionoff, Jessica Scott, and Erik Patterson.
Deep Blue Sea 2 provides examples of:
- Everything's Even Worse with Sharks: The pharmaceutical company responsible for building the facility and testing the drugs picked sharks as their candidates.
- Gone Horribly Right: They wanted to make a drug that could alter the brain to give it a permanent boost to intelligence, and tested said drug on bull sharks. Unfortunately for them, it worked very well.
- It Can Think: Turns out, much like the original, increasing the intelligence of sharks turns out to not be the greatest idea in the world.
- Monster Is a Mommy: Bella, the leader of the sharks, turns out to be pregnant.
- More Deadly Than the Male: Bella is the leader of the bull shark group and has the highest intelligence of all of them.
- Truth in Television in that female bull sharks, although not smarter, certainly grow bigger than the males.
- Only Sane Man: Misty Calhoun is a shark conservationist who is hired by the pharmaceutical company doing the research, and she vehemently stands against the research they're doing when she learns about it.Carl Durant: "Let me show you... we can all be gods."Misty Calhoun: "Or monsters."
- Palate Propping: The researchers rely on an alarmingly flimsy-looking rectangular prop to hold Bella's jaw open while one of them reaches into her mouth to swab the inside of her throat. Why they didn't use a much longer throat-swab to further ameliorate the risk can only be chalked up to Too Dumb to Live.
- Professor Guinea Pig: Carl Durant turns out to have been testing his new drugs on himself.
- Scale of Scientific Sins: About a 3. The movie trailer indicates that the film is the result of what happens when you take an apex predator and give it a drug that makes it smarter.
- Villain Ball: The shark-fin fishermen apparently only take one fin off each shark they catch, because it's ever so much more important for them to make themselves look like Asshole Victims than to actually, y'know, maximize their profits.