"Terror is the only sane response."
Dark Asylum is a 2001 American Thriller film starring Judd Nelson, featuring Jurgen Prochnow and distributed by Lionsgate. It concerns a psychologist tormented by a recently-captured Serial Killer.
This film contains examples of:
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: The sewers in this city are so big that the Trasher can live in them, with furniture and everything.
- Accidental Murder: The head of security at the asylum accidentally shoots a cop trying to kill the Trasher, who was trying to deliberately murder the cop.
- Air-Vent Passageway: Maggie tries to escape through one of these, but is just slow enough that she gets out as the room she's in is locked away from the rest of the asylum.
- Bald of Evil: The Trasher is totally bald and totally evil.
- The Berserker: The Trasher is super-strong, super-angry and super-murderous.
- Big Bad: Luther Wells, better known as the Trasher, the Serial Killer terrorizing the asylum.
- Closed Circle: The asylum is on maximum security lockdown, and nobody can find the keys to get out.
- "Die Hard" on an X: In an asylum.
- Fat Bastard: The Trasher is quite overweight, and a serial killer to boot.
- Genius Bruiser: The Trasher is knowledgable on bomb-making and survival (as evidenced by the books in his lair), and has the strength of ten men.
- Line-of-Sight Name: The Trasher, when masquerading as a cop, goes by "Officer Windstorm," after the Philips-Lindstrom walkie-talkie he uses.
- The Place
- Predecessor Villain: There was another Ax-Crazy patient, named Richard Batko, who rampaged at the asylum years before the film's events, whom Quitz had to kill himself. He's also Maggie's father.
- Properly Paranoid: The last patient at the asylum figures out that the Trasher is Impersonating an Officer based on what he's saying on the walkie-talkie, but Maggie dismisses him as paranoid.
- The Red Baron: Luther Wells is known as the "Trasher," due to all of his crimes taking place near trashcans and dumpsters.
- The Sociopath: Luther Wells, a Serial Killer who tears people apart with his bare hands and keeps their bodies in his sewer lair.
- Soft-Spoken Sadist: The Trasher always talk in a smooth a cool tone of voice. Even then it's clear that he's relishing in the fear and suffering of others.
- The Strength of Ten Men: Luther is said to have this.
- Swallow the Key: Quitz tries this to infuriate the Trasher, but he just rips the key from Quitz's esophagus.