Chop Shop is a 2007 independent film directed by Ramin Bahrani about a 12-year-old Latino orphan name Alejandro, or "Ale" for short, working and living in an auto shop in the Willets Point area of Queens, New York. Together with his sister Isamar or "Izzy" for short, they attempt to earn enough money to buy a food van from Ale's friend's uncle so they can live and work on their own.
This film is shot in the style of a documentary and features an Amateur Cast.
This film provides examples of:
- Angry Guard Dog: Shop owner Rob has one.
- The Artful Dodger: Ale, who often steals parts from parked cars at nearby Shea Stadium for the shop.
- The Danza: Alejandro, Carlos, and Isamar are all the actor's real names, among others.
- Downer Ending / No Ending
- Faux Documentary
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Ale and his friend Carlos.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Between Ale and Isa, on occasion.