Kim Mathews (Felicity Jones) was a skateboarding child prodigy with many awards to her name, but her career came to a halt when her mother died and Kim had to give up onboarding to be able to help her father Bill (Bill Bailey) at home. While searching for a job with better pay, she lands a job as a Chalet Girl in Austria.
She get's a cold welcome from her fellow Chalet Girl Georgie (Tamsin Egerton) and meets her employers the Madsens family: Richard (Bill Nighy), his wife Caroline (Brooke Shields) and their son John (Ed Westwick) who she's instantly attracted to. The two start an unconventional romance, made complicated by his mother's disapproval and him already being engaged to his girlfriend Chloe (Sophia Bush).
During that, Kim renews her passion for sports by learning snowboarding from friendly local Mikki (Ken Duken) and enters the local competition to win the prize money.
This film provides examples of:
- Beta Couple: Mikki and Georgie.
- Birthday Suit Surprise Party: Played With. Georgie throws Kim a birthday party at the Chalet and are all hanging out in the hot tub when a drunk Kim gets out to dance in the snow... just when the Chalet owners arrive to catch her naked, including her Love Interest John. Cue Naked Freak-Out.
- Bumbling Dad: Kim's father Bill who can barely live by himself without his daughter's help.
- Burger Fool: Kim is stuck working in a fast-food burger bar since her mother died.
- Child Prodigy: Kim was a skateboarding prodigy, started competing when she was seven and won her first award at eleven.
- Crash-Into Hello: Kim and Mike's first meeting is when he crashed into her while snowboarding.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Kim can be quite clumsy at times, the first thing she did upon arriving in Austria was putting her baggage in the wrong place and almost losing it.
- Daddy's Girl: Kim is very devoted to her father and the two are very close.
- Deadpan Snarker: Kim and Georgie snark constantly, with each other and even with their employers.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Georgie is very cold to Kim at first but mellows out to her through the movie.
- Disposable Fiancé: Chloe to John. He breaks up with her to be with Kim during their engagement party. She's understandably pissed off.
- The Dutiful Daughter: After her mother dies, Kim takes over all her mother's responsibilities as a housewife to help her struggling father.
- Fallen-on-Hard-Times Job: The movie's premise, former skater boarding champion is stuck working first as a Burger Fool then as the titular Chalet Girl.
- Family Versus Career: Kim has to give up her skateboarding career in order to help her widowed father pay the bills.
- Good Parents: Kim's parents who are completely supportive in her unusual sports career.
- Groin Attack: Chloe does this to John after he breaks up with her in the middle of their engagement party.
- Hand-or-Object Underwear: Mikki covers himself with his hands when getting into the hot tub. Kim also covers herself with a pair of giant mittens when she stands naked in front of the Madsens car.
- Home-Early Surprise: The Madsens happen to arrive early than expected and catch Georgie and Kim having a hot tub birthday party. They also happen to arrive just as a drunk Kim decided to dance in the snow while naked.
- Job Title: The move follows Kim working as a Chalet Girl in the Alps.
- Mentor: Mikki teaches Kim about snowboarding, which she picks up quick thanks to her natural talent at skateboarding.
- Men Can't Keep House: Bill struggles with domestic tasks and Kim is worried about leaving him to fend for himself.
- Missing Mom: Kim's mother died in a car crash when she was a teen, which caused her to quit her sports career for a while.
- Naked Freak-Out: Kim has a mute one when she realizes she's naked in front of John and the rest of his family.
- Naked People Are Funny: The hot tub party Georgie throws for Kim has Kim and Mikki playing in the snow in the buff, all Played for Laughs.
- Nice to the Waiter: John's family is quite friendly with Georgie and Kim, although that changes when Caroline learns John is dating "a chalet girl."
- Passionate Sports Girl: Kim, who used to be a skateboard champion, and learns how to snowboard easily.
- Preppy Name: Amusingly realized when Kim's humble, more ordinary background is instantly apparent during a roll-call of her fellow (far Sloanier) chalet girls:"I'm Henrietta", "Isabella", "Petronella"......"um, Kim."
- Really Gets Around: Georgie who slept with half of the resort according to John.
- Servile Snarker: Kim tends to snark often to the Madsens.
- Soul-Sucking Retail Job: Kim considers her job at the fast-food burger to be this.
- Terrible Interviewees Montage: Kim goes during one before landing the titular job as a Chalet Girl.
- Toplessness from the Back: Kim when surfaces from the hot tub to play in the snow, she has her bare back to the camera, with a brief Shoulders-Up Nudity shot from the front.
- Uptown Guy: Kim and John's romance.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Georgie starts the movie acting very snobbish towards Kim, but they eventually warm up to each other while still trading snarky lines at the other's expense.