Cat Sick Blues is a 2015 Australian Kickstarter-funded horror film written by Andrew Gallacher and Dave Jackson, the latter of whom also directed.
The film follows two individuals grieving over the loss of their beloved cats. A woman named Claire whose cat was killed by a deranged stalker that also raped her and a troubled man named Ted who in his grief goes on a killing spree in the hopes that the blood of his victims will revive his cat.
Tropes Relating to Cat Sick Blues
- All Men Are Perverts: Claire is raped by a man. A video of her getting raped is broadcast over the internet where several men capitalise on her suffering. Ted kills a web-cam girl and a street walker.
- Claire lampshades this when she confronts Ted over his murders. He only ever killed women and she accuses him of doing so because it gave him sexual gratification.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Whatever is wrong with Ted isn't explained. Just that his cat was the only thing that kept him stable until it died.
- Claire's rapist, Francis, also has a strangely child-like demeanor that could suggest some kind of developmental disorder.
- An Aesop: All things die and you need to accept it.
- Our obsession with the internet has turned real issues into little more than heartless entertainment.
- Disposable Sex Worker: Two of Ted's victims.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: By the end of the film, both Ted and Francis are dead, and Claire has survived her ordeal; but several women have been brutally murdered, and Claire has been through absolute hell and will probably be scarred for life.
- Humiliation Conga: Claire's cat is killed, the killer rapes her while a nearby camera is switched on, the video winds up on the net and instead of sympathy Claire is slut-shamed. And then she becomes the target of a serial killer.
- The Internet Is for Cats: Claire's cat is internet-famous.
- Monster Misogyny: All of Ted's victims are women.
- Nightmare Retardant: In-universe. Ted's first two victims find his cat costume too ridiculous to be scary. It gets even sillier when he adds a strap-on.
- Serial Killer: Ted.