A horror Anthology Film from 1991, starring Gunnar Hansen (of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre fame). No relation to the 1997 film of the same title.
A derelict meets three boys out in the woods and joins their campfire to tell some scary stories.
- "The Hook": Two lovers meet a hook-handed killer.
- "Overtoke": Two delinquents look for weed, and get more than they bargained for.
- "The Fright Before Xmas": On Christmas Eve, a man kills his mother for the inheritance money. He is then visited by a special guest.
- "Skull and Crossbones'': Undead pirates hound those who try to take their island's treasure.
The wraparound story
- Twist Ending: As the boys go to sleep, the derelict tells them that he'll stay a while longer next to campfire to keep warm. He then takes off his fake hand and rolls in his Hook Hand, which is the same one from the first tale.
- Auto Erotica: Jim and Susan are about to get it on, but their moment is ruined by the radio announcement about the escaped killer.
- Hook Hand: According to Susan, the killer who escaped from the mental hospital lost his hand in Vietnam, an replaced with a hook.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The Hook is ultimately defeated with his own namesake prosthetic.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: The story takes place on All Hallows' Eve.
- Off with His Head!: The Hook takes his victims' heads after killing them, and puts them inside jack-o-lanterns.
- The Public Domain Channel: When Susan gets home, an open television set is showing The Terror.
- Drugs Are Bad: Frank's stuff is highly addictive and causes Body Horror with prolonged use. Don't do drugs, kids!
- Fingertip Drug Analysis: Chris's brother finds a bag of Frank's stuff and tastes it from his fingertip. He then becomes addicted too.
- I'm Melting!: The ultimate fate of the users of Frank's stuff is decomposing into a green puddle.
- The Public Domain Channel: The television in Chris's basement shows Häxan and, appropiately, Reefer Madness.
"The Fright Before Xmas"
- And Show It to You: Satan Claus lifts Steve by the neck and rips out his heart, and turns his corpse into a Christmas ornament.Satan Claus: You're a heartless bastard, Steve.
- Bad Santa: Satan Claus has come to punish the naughty.
- Evil Laugh: Satan Claus makes his presence apparent to Steve with his laughter.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: It's Christmas! With murder.
- Non-Human Undead: Satan Claus' sled is pulled by some sort of skeleton-zombie reindeer.
- Santa's Existence Clause: Steve tells his niece and nephew that is no Santa Claus, or an evil counterpart who punishes the naughty when they question him about it. When he returns to the scene of the crime, Satan Claus comes to prove him wrong.
"Skull and Crossbones''
- Ghost Pirate: After digging up the island's treasure, The Pirate tries to leave the island but runs into the reanimated corpses of its previous claimers.
- Kill It with Fire: The Pirate lures some of the zombies into The Black Man's hut, and sets it on fire.
- No Name Given: The main characters are only known as The Pirate and Cabin Boy. Likewise, the former slave living in the island is named The Black Man in the credits.
- Off with His Head!: The Pirate decapitates one of the zombies with his sword, and rips off the head of another.
- Pirate Booty: There is a treasure on the island, but there's a curse upon it, which dooms anyone who try to claim it.
- Rise from Your Grave: More zombies come after The Pirate by rising up from their makeshift graves.
- See You in Hell: After being fatally stabbed, The Black Man curses The Pirate, and says that he'll be waiting for him on the other side.
- Two-Faced: One of the zombies has rotten to the point that half of its face is just bare bone.