Caché (English: Hidden) is a 2005 French language Psychological Thriller written and directed by Michael Haneke. Starring Daniel Auteuil as Georges and Juliette Binoche as his wife Anne, the film follows an upper class French couple who are terrorized by anonymous tapes that appear on their front porch and hint at childhood memories of the husband.
This film provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: The parents are terrified when Pierrot doesn't come home. The father breaks down in tears when alone in the kitchen.
- Blood from the Mouth: The family receives drawings of a figure with blood pouring out of its mouth.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Unpleasant events of Georges' childhood catch up with him.
- Driven to Suicide: Majid blames Georges for his miserable life which he ends right in front of him.
- High-Pressure Blood: The fountain of blood coming from Majid's throat.
- Instant Death Bullet: Not a bullet, but Majid drops dead instantly after slitting his throat.
- Leave the Camera Running: Many shots, most notably the videos sent to the main character showing nothing more than the exterior of his house for long periods of time. Other choice shots include three minutes of random kids swimming laps and the closing scene with two characters talking without audible dialogue.
- Mockstery Tale: It is never revealed who sent the tapes and drawings to the family, and it is heavily implied to be a metaphor for Georges' subconscious guilt complex.
- Proscenium Reveal: The opening scene is a video the Laurentes are watching on their TV. The audience only realizes this when the tape is being rewound.
- Reality Has No Soundtrack: There is no music, save for the theme on George's show, and background music at Anne's publishing party.
- Shout Out: To Lost Highway. The main characters receive anonymous videotapes of their house which the husband is secretive about. Plus in both films the family name is Laurent.
- Silent Credits: The opening credits are a big block of text over a still scene and the end credits roll over a silent shot of Pierrot meeting Majid's son.
- Slashed Throat: Self-inflicted by Majid.
- Surprisingly Sudden Death: Majid invites Georges into his home, casually produces a knife from his pocket and slits his own throat. Then he drops dead instantly without moving a limb.
- The Unsolved Mystery: Who sent the tapes and drawings to the family?
- Untranslated Title: The title Caché was not translated for Foreign releases except for the UK/Ireland.
- Your Cheating Heart: A widely accepted theory is that Anne is having an affair with Pierre and her son finds out about it whilst tape recording the house.