Burnt is a 2015 drama film starring Bradley Cooper as a brilliant but temperamental chef trying to return to prominence.
Tropes present in this film include:
- Analogy Backfire: A Star Wars metaphor is used to explain how good a chef one has to be to get a Michelin star. To get three, you have to be Yoda. Sara wonders if that means Adam is really Darth Vader.
- Drugs Are Bad: Adam has a history of drug abuse that destroyed his career.
- Fast-Food Nation: France has become one because of fast food chains exported from the United States such as Burger King.
- Food Porn: Yes, naturally, it's a movie about a gourmet chef.
- French Jerk: A lot of the French characters are quite arrogant and hostile. Ironic or not, the French think of Americans as jerkasses.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Simone says this about Adam, although it isn't quite "okay."Simone: You know, when I lie awake at night and list my regrets, you're one of them. I say to myself, "Simone, you're a lesbian. Why did you sleep with Adam Jones?"
- Insufferable Genius: Everyone thinks that Adam is a genius, but he's frequently temperamental and abusive to his staff.
- Off the Wagon: After losing his chance to get a three-star rating from Michelin, Adam goes on a bender and tries to suffocate himself with a sous-vide bag.
- Poverty Food: Although a master in making gourmet food, Adam loves Burger King and chows down on a Whopper and fries calling them delicious and affordable. Helene denigrates Burger King for being high in fats and salts, and so there is a correlation between being poor and being obese/unhealthy.
- Worthy Opponent: Adam's arch-rival Reese tells him that he needs Adam to be great to inspire greatness in himself.