Boa vs. Python is a 2004 Syfy Channel Original Movie, starring David Hewlett, Jaime Bergman, Kirk B.R. Woller, and Adam Kendrick.
A dangerous cargo containing a genetically engineered super-python is lost, again. This time the giant python escapes due to it waking during transport on a highway. To track it the CIA recruits the aid of a snake focused herpetologist and marine biologist who specializes in tracking equipment to apply the latter's tools to the former's giant boa constrictor. The hope, that the boa's tracking abilities and keeness to seek out a rival will help them locate and eliminate the python. At the same time, the amoral tycoon who arranged for the python's genetic engineering as the ultimate sport sets out with his team of big game hunters.
This film provides examples of:
- Behemoth Battle: Exactly what you'd expect, between a 75 foot Scarlet Boa and an 80 foot Reticulated Python. Starts in a nightclub during the climax and carries into the underground subway system. Betty wins by default when she's knocked out of the way of a train with the stun spike, leaving the Python to be decapitated by it. However, she was winning at the time anyway.
- Continuity Nod: Agent Sharpe mentions the events of Python II a few times.
- Crossover: Technically between Boa and Python, though the events of the first Boa film are never mentioned and the boa in this film was selectively bred to be so huge instead of being wild.
- Gentle Giant: Betty to a degree. She's still dangerous, but generally is fairly docile unless provoked. She's perfectly content for Dr. Emmett to feed her by hand and isn't bothered when Monica accidentally steps on her during her introduction.
- Fluffy the Terrible: The boa's name is Betty.
- Follow the Leader: Likely the idea for selling a "Versus" movie came from Alien vs. Predator and Freddy vs. Jason, which came out in 2003 and 2004 respectively.
- Off with His Head!: The python is run over by a train, decapitating him.
- Red Is Heroic: Betty is red in color in comparison to the green python and is the 'heroic' one, as while not necessarily 'good' she only attacks humans if provoked and is opposing the far more actively dangerous python. Notably, nearly all of her kills are members of Broddick's team, with the only two exceptions being a pair of soldiers who attacked her first, and even then they were largely killed by their own stupidity, as the worst she did was somewhat lightly whacking one with her tail.
- Shown Their Work:
- While Dr. Emmett mentions Betty's species is the "Scarlet Queen Boa", which is fictional, his comment on her species being unusual in that it lays eggs is accurate. Unlike pythons, which belong to a completely different family, boas exclusively give birth to live young.
- A boa and python being antagonist to one another is correct as the two constrictor families, if brought together, perceive each other as rivals or prey.
- Snakes Are Sinister: Played straight with the maneating python, who was genetically engineered to be aggressive and dangerous to make for a better hunt. Subverted with Betty, who is fairly docile and only attacks humans when she's provoked, and even then doesn't seem to eat them like the python.
- Summon Bigger Fish: The premise: in order to track down the python, they recruit a scientist's equally huge boa constrictor.
- Super Breeding Program: While not quite clarified in the film, trailers state Betty is the result of selective breeding to become so huge.