At a maximum security prison built in Antarctica to house the world's worst criminals, construction workers accidentally stumble upon a prehistoric subterranean world and release a deadly giant boa constrictor.
This film provides examples of:
- The Alcatraz: It's set in an Alcatraz-type prison built in Antarctica to make escape impossible, then sent the most notorious international criminals and terrorists there. Then they had the great idea of digging into a prehistoric Lost World so a giant killer snake gets into the place.
- Beware My Stinger Tail: The Boa has a pointed tail tip it can use to kill its victims.
- Covers Always Lie: It was repackaged and sold under the title New Alcatraz, with the DVD box being rather coy about the fact that it is actually a killer snake Syfy Channel Original Movie.
- Disney Villain Death: In the climax, the snake manages to hitch a ride on the cargo plane boarded by the remaining survivors; they eventually manage to throw it out of the plane and send it plummeting to its doom, but not before dragging the last surviving inmate (a Russian terrorist) with it.
- Dug Too Deep: Reckless drilling into the Antarctic ice sheet releases a Lost World containing a giant boa constrictor.
- Eerie Arctic Research Station: An inescapable prison is built in Antarctica to house the world's toughest criminals, but it also doubles as a research station. Pretty soon after the first batch of prisoners arrives, researchers Dug Too Deep and stumbled into a prehistoric Hollow Earth. Unfortunately for them, a giant boa immediately escapes and starts picking off the Dwindling Party.
- Enemy Mine: As the giant prehistoric snake starts rampaging through the facility, the scientists and prison staff are forced to cooperate with the inmates to escape.
- Hot Scientist: Robert Trenton, a paleontologist played by hunky Dean Cain.
- Mysterious Antarctica: Construction workers digging an inescapable prison at the South Pole come across a giant prehistoric snake preserved in nitrogen.
- Scary Animal Title: Boa.
- Swallowed Whole: Most of the giant Boa's victims are swallowed in one gulp.
- Villainous Virtues: Yuri might be a Russian terrorist who very much deserves to be in a super max prison, but if he gives his word, he keeps it. He promises to not let the heroes get hurt if he can help it, and continues trying until his death, even after the guy he made the promise to is dead.