- "Only the brave will conquer."
Freya is a Norse princess betrothed to Sven. Her father goes on a quest to slay Agnar a creature cursed by Odin. When the beast attacks, Sven leaves his king to die so he can claim the throne. Freya learns that her father was merely captured and goes to rescue him. Sven pursues her under the pretense of saving her from Agnar, leading to an epic confrontation...
This film contains examples of:
- Adaptational Villainy: In most versions of Beauty and the Beast that have a non-Beast suitor, the suitor is usually a boorish idiot who thinks the Beast is an evil monster. Even more sinister versions, like Gaston, are more stupid than malicious. Sven, the suitor figure here, uses the fight against Agnar as a cover so he can do a coup d'etat on the throne and is willing to threaten his "best friend" with death to shut him up.
- Artistic License History: In the opening scene, a group of friends play in the water wearing trunks and bikinis. For most of history, humans swam naked.
- Big Bad: Sven, The Usurper of the tribe's throne.
- Bittersweet Ending: Sven is defeated and Agnar is cured, but at the cost of Freya's life.
- Chainmail Bikini: Averted; Freya wears armour that covers her whole body except her eyes and jaw.
- Curse: Agnar had one placed upon him so he transforms from a man to a creature most closely resembling an ogre wearing the skin of a bear, and randomly becomes The Berserker mailing everybody around him to death.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Agnar becomes a monster because Odin cursed him for killing a bear.
- The Dreaded: Agnar is so feared that no warrior has set on his island from the time he appeared to the beginning of the film.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Agnar is cursed by Odin to be a flesh-eating fiend, but Odin is never seen in the film.
- The Hero Dies: Freya jumps in front of Sven's blade to save Agnar.
- Setting Update: Beauty and the Beast in Viking times.
- The Sociopath: Sven, a beloved warrior who wishes to rule his tribe, leaves his chieftain to die to do so, threatens to murder his best friend to keep the secret, and intends to marry Princess Freya and bear her children to make his rule legitimate.
- The X of Y