Casey (Begovic) returns home from her bachelorette party in Costa Rica with a seemingly innocuous insect bite but is too preoccupied with her issues at home to take note. An over-bearing mother-in-law, and cold feet over her impending marriage to Jared (Grey) are at the top of her list of concerns but the horrifying effects of the bite are the one thing she will not be able to escape from as her instincts take a turn for the murderous and her body degenerates into an insectoid form.
This film provides examples of:
- Art Shift: The scenes of Casey's honeymoon at the start of the film, including the fateful bug bite, are presented as "found footage" but the rest of the film employs a more conventional narrative.
- Body Horror: The basic plot revolves around Casey being bitten by a waterborne insect while vacationing, infecting her with a mutagenic virus that slowly transforms her into a human-insect hybrid. And it only gets worse from there.
- The End... Or Is It?: The film ends with two women jogging and discussing their upcoming vacation. One of them is bitten by one of the strange bugs that bit Casey, starting the cycle again. It is furthermore implied that the infection could soon become widespread.
- Fanservice: During the honeymoon scenes, we are treated to some rather nice shots of the film's very attractive leads (of both sexes) in swimwear. Unfortunately, it soon changes into Fan Disservice once Casey gets bitten.
- Gorn: While Casey's transformation is already pretty gruesome in itself, the climactic scenes take it to the next level.
- Mandatory Motherhood: Casey's fiancé and her soon-to-be mother-in-law repeatedly attempt to pressure her into starting a large family despite her being infertile.
- Nightmare Sequence: Casey has one where she sees herself giving birth to insect eggs as her friends and family members chant, "Babies! Babies!" before proceeding to eat the eggs.
- Pet the Dog: Despite being a horrible jerkass towards Casey, Jill still makes a genuine effort to reach out to her and help her deal with her situation once she's infected.
- Rape as Drama: Casey wakes up on the beach without her clothes or her engagement ring during the trip, thinking that one of the guys she met there must have assaulted her. While it's not actually referred to as sexual assault, it pretty clear that's exactly what it is. We later learn that her best friend Jill allowed her to be raped and took her engagement ring in order to hide her dalliances with Jared.
- With Friends Like These...: Jill is just the worst friend possible for Casey, or anyone for that matter.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Casey. As if getting infected with a mutagenic virus and turned into a bug wasn't bad enough, her best friend betrays her and her fiancé cheats on her with said friend. It's no surprise therefore that she eventually rips the former's throat out and stings the latter several times before finally dying.
- Your Head Asplode: During the climactic scenes, Jared stomps on Casey's head, which explodes into green goo.
- Your Cheating Heart: It is eventually revealed that Jared cheated on Casey with Jill.