Best Night Ever is a 2014 comedy film written and directed by Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer and starring Desiree Hall, Samantha Colburn, Eddie Ritchard and Crista Flanagan. Uniquely for a Friedberg and Seltzer film it is not a spoof.
Claire (Hall), a twenty-something bride to be heads to Las Vegas for a bachelorette weekend with, her uptight older sister Leslie (Colburn), her adventurous best friend Zoe (Ritchard) and her other friend Janet (Flanagan). Leslie prudishly disapproves of the whole trip, Zoe is determined to show her pal a good time before she chains herself to a man and the friendly but clueless Janet basically invited herself. Together the foursome undergo a long, mishap filled night through the streets of Vegas.
Best Night Ever provides examples of the following tropes:
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: Epically so; though drugs are also involved.
- Big Fun: Janet is chubby (by Hollywood standards; by normal standards she's average size) and constantly cheerful and bubbly.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Two redheads actually (Claire and Leslie) but otherwise the leads fit this trope well.
- Found Footage Films: The movie is shot 'in-universe' via Zoe's camcorder, making this a rare comedy example of this trope.
- Gag Penis: A male stripper the girls visit early on has a gigantic endownment, tastefully hidden by a foot long black bar.
- The Ghost: Claire's fiance never appears onscreen, though we do briefly hear his voice via a phonecall.
- Slapstick Knows no Gender: Applies to nearly all the girls, though especially Janet who builds up a collection of Amusing Injuries throughout the night.
- Spiritual Successor: In many respects it is a Gender Flip version of The Hangover in theme and style of comedy, though outside some similarities it goes its own way plotwise.
- The Stoner: Uptight, prim, proper Leslie of all people!
- Viva Las Vegas!: Lots of sex, neon lights and booze and run ins with crime. Unusually for the trope none of the main characters do any gambling.