Sent to spend the summer with their aunt in Erinville after their father dies, Tommy and his teenage sister Becky begin the healing process by bonding with their cousin Alex. Upon meeting Alex's wise older friend Mr. Connors, Tommy and Becky learn that in order to move on with their lives they will have to find the courage to see life in a new light.
The film contains examples of:
- Cave Behind The Waterfall: Near the end of the film, Tommy and Alex fall into a fast-moving stream. Though the stream eventually drops off at a waterfall, the two children end up within a cavern behind the waterfall.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Alex thinks her visiting cousin is nuts at first. For thinking the local shoemaker was a magical creature. Some of the townsfolk think Connors is, a little.
- Daddy Had a Good Reason for Abandoning You: Tommy's dad had a very good reason for not coming back. He was kinda dead.
- Dramatic Wind: Indeed! Mr. Connors is almost constantly followed by winds that tell him important stuff. Becky learns to "hear" the wind by the end of the film.
- Deadpan Snarker: Becky, when she's not sitting around chatting away on the phone. Most likely sending the long-distance bill through the roof.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Rick towards Sam, despite her snapping at him and breaking up with him for a while.
- The Fair Folk: None are seen, but Mr. Conners mentions their king gave him the Faeden.
- Friend to All Living Things: Mr. Connors. From the birds and the bees to angels and fairy kings. Not a bad resume.
- Happily Ever After: Even the stuffed bird Ace managed to survive to the end.
- Hellish Horse: The Púca, he'll take you on a ride that you'll never survive... Unless you're very brave, that is.
- Jerkass: Sam, man was that woman snippy.
- Leprechaun: Tommy thinks Mr. Connors is one at first. Connors finds the idea hilarious.
- Make a Wish: The lost Faeden has the power to grant any wish.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: The film never does conclusively tell us if magic and fairies are real. Then again...
- Our Angels Are Different:Mr. Connors: Think of me as an angel.
Alex: Angels have wings.
- Our Banshees Are Louder: The spirit that appeared to warn that Connors that his time is almost up.
- The Voiceless: Patty, of course. That's not to say he/she won't speak his/her mind through the wind.Mr. Connors: (a strong gust of wind kicks up) Oh Patty, where's your sense of humor!