"Here" we have shiny cars, shiny houses, clean clothes. And stuff. Lots of stuff people "There" do perfectly well without. They eke out a living gathering trash, so they've a lot of time for friendship, philosophy, enjoyment of simple pleasures. The things that give life meaning.
It's not like they have no problems, obviously. The biggest of these (in many ways) is the Chairman, the ruler of "There", who's rich enough to live "Here" but "There" he's the boss.
Baśń o ludziach stąd translation , a No Budget Black Comedy independent movie full of Word Salad Philosophy and amateur actors/comedians from Zielona Góra. Written and directed by Władysław Sikora, can be watched on the Internet (Google it).
Some tropes dug out on the garbage dump:
- Beggar with a Signboard: They have a bunch of those to pick for a day's work of begging, ranging from "Will work for food" to "I was a guarantor".
- Bespectacled Bastard Boyfriend: Parodied Trope in the opening scene. He and his girl do appear later on for a short moment - with her carrying some heavy bags.Subtitle: this movie is not about them
- Big Damn Heroes: Columbus but he's late.
- Bindle Stick: Used by Columbus while fleeing "There".
- Broken Bird: Parodied with Natalia, whose Freudian Excuse is more than a bit silly.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: Gender-flipped with Newton, a dorky-to-the-point-of-annoying guy and rough, tough Natalia.
- Censored for Comedy: Some of the Chairman's swearing is crowded out by a teapot whistle. For some reason.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Everybody, in various degrees. Prominent examples are Newton and Romuald.Romuald: Before we starve to death, are we going to be attractively thin? Eh? I'd like that.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Natalia, for Newton.
- The Faceless: The Chairman is always seen from the back. Even when he's unconscious and Julietta flips him on his back, we see his back again.
- The Friend Nobody Likes: Newton. They keep trying to leave him behind.
- Genius Ditz: Newton is completely guileless, especially in social situations, can't read, but can cobble together a working flintlock pistol out of junk.
- High-HeelFace Turn: Natalia, if ambiguously.
- I Gave My Word: Columbus keeps his promises. Always.Columbus: I promised your mother once I'd never punch you. Have you got any idea how difficult this gets?
- Ironic Nickname: A bit. Most of the "There" people are nicknamed after Shakespeare plays (Otello), scientists (Newton) and such. Sophisticated for the Wrong Side of the Tracks.
- King of the Homeless: The Chairman. A Rare Evil Example, he exploits "There" people mercilessly.
- Legacy Character: Scarlet Leon, whose father was a hero, and his grandfather before him. And he wants to be one, too.
- Loves the Sound of Screaming: Hector is beating up a guy:The Chairman: Hector! Stop it!
Hector (confused): Stop hitting him?
The Chairman: Hit him. But stop repeating this "take that" of yours, I can't hear him moaning.
- MacGuffin: The ring Newton found in the landfill.
- Make a Wish: Newton, several times, wishes it was a different time of the day - and it turns so.
- Manipulative Bastard: Otello tries. But Columbus and Julietta trick him.
- Mundane Luxury: Stuff mundane "There" is coveted "Here".One philosopher: If I had a house, a yacht, a car, a new woman ever week, would I be happy?
The other philosopher: Leave it. You'd be happy if you had two bottles.
One philosopher: With two, sure.
- No Budget: Labour of love, this movie is.
- Non-Powered Costumed Hero: For a given value of "hero", Scarlet Leon. He's mostly just annoying the Chairman by breaking his window. Does have his fans, although most people don't take him seriously. He isn't happy about that.
- Obligatory Swearing: Quite a lot of it, for some reason.
- The Philosopher: Almost everyone, really, but the two guys whose sole job is philosophising randomly are billed as such.
- Police are Useless: There are two beat cops around, but all they do is pee on a wall.Policeman: Heard that? A woman screamed. Going to have a look?
His colleague: Come on, haven't you seen a woman before?
- Safety in Muggles: Columbus's group seeks it for a while, but Otello convinces them to get back.
- Scatterbrained Senior: Jurand, the oracle of "There", in a wonderfully deadpan way. But his predictions always come true! Okay, sometimes only halfway, but they do!A guy: You told me to spend all my savings on booze, cause I'd die in June anyway. It's September now.
- Scavenged Punk
- Silly Walk: Julietta walking the way of "There" people.
- Superheroes Wear Capes: Leon wears a cape, a red suit (not spandex, a suit) and Groucho glasses. The cape snags on something and tears.
- Tickle Torture: Romuald does not break.
- Tomboyish Name: Romuald is a perfectly normal name, commonly given in Poland... to boys.
- Turncoat: In the Columbus's group, it's Otello, that ratface. The price: a box of food and Natalia.
- Urban Fantasy: Kinda, sorta set in a fantastic town on the edges of the "real" world.
- "Wanted!" Poster: The reward for Columbus's group is 200 potatoes.
- Wallpaper Camouflage: Columbus and his girls blend into a wall to hide from the Chairman's enforcers.
- Word Salad Philosophy: The Movie.Natalia: Time ain't rubber, clocks ain't sleds.
- World of Pun: Of varying quality.
- Would Hit a Girl: The Chairman.Newton: He beat you?
Natalia: Oh, just a fatherly kick in the face.
- Wrong Side of the Tracks: "There", although its denizens beg to differ.
- Verbal Tic: Julietta says "szczurza morda"translation a lot.
- If you had everything, where would you put it?