Ang Probinsyano (lit. The Man from the Province) is a 1997 Philippine action film by Fernando Poe Jr who plays a double role as his twin brother. The film became a box office hit, spawning a sequel entitled Ang Pagbabalik ng Probinsyano with Poe reprising his role.
It follows the story of Kardo, a cop from the province, assuming the identity of his twin brother Ador, who was killed in a drug bust operation after he was betrayed by a fellow officer. His superior devises a plan for his twin brother to capture the drug syndicate and the corrupt policemen responsible for his death.
This movie contains the following tropes:
- Angsty Surviving Twin: Kardo is saddened over Ador's death, especially since they were estranged for twenty years and never got the chance to reconcile.
- Backup Twin: Played for Drama. His superior, Police Col. Bernardo, devised the plan in an attempt to stir up the drug syndicate , until Lily, Ador's wife, realized the ruse.
- Betty and Veronica: Graceful widow Lily and Single Mom Stripper Carmen, respectively.
- Billed Above the Title: Fernando Poe Jr, naturally.
- Bottomless Magazines - Most of the action scenes, only to run out when facing the villain.
- Cartwright Curse: Kardo is a widower, and later his relationship with Carmen is cut short after she was killed.
- Cool Uncle: Kardo seems to get along fine with his nephew Jerry.
- Corrupt Cop: Maj. Sandoval is in cahoots with the drug syndicate and is one of the primary antagonists.
- Dead Person Impersonation: Kardo being assigned to be Ador's Backup Twin is the premise of the film's first half.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Carmen dies in Kardo's arms after being stabbed.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Kardo did not end up with either Lily or Carmen.
- Disappeared Dad: Both Jerry and Menchie are missing their respective fathers. The former's was killed in the prologue, while the latter has no explanation over his disappearance.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: In Santa Marcela, Kardo shoots all of the bandits in the eatery so fast that not a single bandit was able to shoot back. Also in the indoor shooting range scene, Police Sgt. Halili mocked Kardo for being the man from the province. He calls him back by borrowing Police Col. Bernardo's pistol and shoot the target, all in the bull's eye in the center mass, and walks away.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Carmen is a quintessential Single Mom Stripper but is Kardo's most loyal friends (and eventual lover).
- Ms. Fanservice: Carmen is a Hooker with a Heart of Gold while Lily herself is a tall and beautiful woman. There are also several Fanservice Extras providing Walking Swimsuit Scenes.
- One-Man Army: Kardo is capable of defeating multiple opponents by himself.
- Promotion to Parent: Kardo becomes Menchie's legal father after Carmen's death.
- Protagonist Title: The eponymous man from the province is Kardo.
- Single Mom Stripper: Carmen has a daughter without a husband or partner in sight (until Kardo) working as an entertainer.
- Trivial Title: While introduced there, Kardo spends most of the film in the city instead of the province.