An Arctic Tale is a 2007 documentary that follows a polar bear, Nanu, and a walrus, Seela. It's also known under the name Call of the North.
An Arctic Tale contains examples of:
- Babies Ever After: The movies closes with Nanu giving birth to two cubs of her own and Seela birthing a female calf.
- Green Aesop: Throughout the film, narrator Queen Latifah makes allusions to how the rising temperature is affecting the animals in the ice kingdom. A message at the end of the animal footage notes that if the current trend continues, there will be no Arctic ice remaining by the year 2040
- HeelFace Turn: The male polar bear.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Under attack by a polar bear, Seela is rescued by her aunt. However, the polar bear has more power on land and she dies while giving Seela precious time to escape.
- Hunter of His Own Kind: Nanu and her brother's mother lets them know that other polar bears are just as apt to kill them as anyone else.
- Mirroring Factions: Despite the prey-predator relationship between walruses and polar bears, filmmaker Adam Ravetch noted that the experience filming them made him "realize that both have quite a lot in common."
- Polar Bears and Penguins: Being a nature documentary, this is completely averted.
- Took a Level in Badass: Arguably Nanu's willingness to face up against a gaint male polar bear for the share of his kill, despite being near death herself.