The fourth film in the Amityville series, released in 1989.
Despite the destruction of the haunted Amityville house in the third film, it somehow still exists so that a group of priests can exorcise it. However, the evil in the house hides in a lamp which is then sold at a yard sale afterwards and send to an another house where it starts causing terror and mayhem.
The Evil Escapes has examples of:
- Body Surf: The Evil can't transmigrate into people very well but it can hop into other inanimate forms, and The Stinger has it leaving the broken lamp and possessing a housecat.
- Creepy Child: The lamp keeps showing Jessica visions of her late father, which makes her act creepy and protective about it.
- The End... Or Is It?: Despite being destroyed, the lamp manages to posses the family cat.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: When the possessed lamp is lit in its new location, a cat and a bird react violently to it.
- Flies Equals Evil: Flies are shown buzzing around when the priests in the opening arrive at the house to exorcise it. Also, the possessed lamp attracts flies toward itself.
- Hand in the Hole: Amanda almost gets her hand mangled when she's stuffing leftovers into the garbage disposal when it jams on her and when it is about to go back on by itself, she's interrupted and takes her hand out of it. Then someone else's hand gets ruined instead.
- Light Is Not Good: The evil lamp. It emits light, after all.
- Major Injury Underreaction: Helen, the woman who buys the lamp, cuts her finger on it and starts to develop tetanus to the point where her pointer finger is swollen and discolored. She doesn't immediately go to the hospital, but runs it under water. What happens to her? As Phelous puts in his review:Phelous: So she dies of irony, I mean Tetanus
- Numbered Sequels: The film was numbered on some video release covers; otherwise it marks the point when the series Stopped Numbering Sequels.
- The One with...: This is the best known of the sequels, because it's the one with the EVIL LAMP.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: At the end, the cat's eyes glow red, indicating that the evil that was within the lamp is now inhabiting it.
- Unexplained Recovery: The house at 112 Ocean Avenue is in pretty good shape for having been blown up in the previous movie.