A Girl Like Grace
Seventeen-year-old Grace (Ryan Destiny
) has been raised by her single mother (Garcelle Beauvais
),Lisa, in a rather dysfunctional environment. As she yearns for acceptance in the world, Grace finds herself bullied at school by Mary (Raven-Symoné
). She seeks guidance from her best friend Andrea (Paige Hurd
) and Share, Andrea's older sister.
This movie contains examples of:
- Almost Kiss: In a flashback, Andrea and Grace almost kiss just before Grace's mother opens the door.
- Alpha Bitch: Mary, who bullied Andrea into committing suicide for being a lesbian and then tries to do the same with Grace.
- Abusive Parents: Grace's mother is constantly inflicting emotional and mental abuse on Grace, even going as far as to almost punch her daughter for no reason.
- Adults Are Useless: Until Grace snapped and beat the ever living crap out of mean girl Mary for what she done, there were hardly any adults or authorities around to step in and do something about the bullying and Grace is left alone.
- Ambiguously Bi: Grace, who has a loving boyfriend she cares about but also has an extremely close relationship with her late friend Andrea.
- Armored Closet Gay: Mary, who is a closeted lesbian and bullies other young teenager girls simply for being lesbians despite herself also being lesbian.
- Blatant Lies: Mary telling Grace she had nothing to do with Andrea's death. Turns out that was a lie.
- Break the Cutie: Grace, who gets physically abused and neglected by her mother, humiliated at school for sleeping with her boyfriend for the first time, gets assaulted and stalked by a mean girl Mary for being "gay" (or possibly bi), gets into drugs, partying and having sex with random men, gets gang-raped, is left traumatized...
- Andrea, who was bullied by her lover and betrayed by her best friend to the point of committing suicide.
- Depraved Bisexual: Mary, who was involved in a sexual relationship with her victim Andrea, drove her to commit suicide and aggressively pursues many boys including Grace's new boyfriend Josh.
- Disappeared Dad: Grace's dad is nowhere to be seen and it's implied he was killed by her mother.
- Domestic Abuse: Grace's mother is shown getting abused by her boyfriend just before she kills him. Later, she gets involved in another abusive relationship, this time with a married man.
- Driven to Suicide: Grace's friend Andrea.
- Emo Teen: Andrea was one even before being bullied for her Goth makeup and wardrobe.
- Kick the Dog: Grace gets gang-raped by men she trusted and is traumatized by it.
- Kill the Cutie: Betrayal from a close friend and homophobic bullying from a lover are what drove Andrea to commit suicide.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Andrea, Mary, and possibly Grace herself.
- Love Triangle: Grace/Josh/Mary.
- possibly Mary/Andrea/Grace.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: Grace and her boyfriend Josh have sex for the first time on a beach.
- No Ending: The film just ends with a monologue and Grace looking at herself in the bathroom mirror.
- Psycho Lesbian: Mary who goes mad after finding out from someone that Andrea let slip of their secret relationship together and beat her to a bloody pulp in the girl's bathroom before gathering her girls together so they could unleash cruel taunts on Andrea and make her commit suicide.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Grace and Andrea had a close relationship with some heavy lesbian subtext in there. Whether or not they were more than friends is left ambiguous to the audience.
- Secret Relationship: Mary was involved in one with her equally closeted victim Andrea.
- Twofer Token Minority: Mary and Andrea are black and closeted lesbians, while Grace is black and possibly bisexual.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: After Grace beats up Mary for what she did to her and Andrea, she and her clique of girls are never seen again after that. Though it's possible she is humiliated and her reputation is tarnished.
- Wham Shot: Several pan out as Grace beats up Mary in the girl's locker room. Revealing that Mary was the cause of Andrea's death.