Proof that the remaining 10% is worth getting summoned as a hero for is here.
These are recommendations made by Tropers for The Rising of the Shield Hero fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on their respective pages. Feel free to add a recommendation of your own to the appropriate list, but remember to use the template found here.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. You can do it by expanding on the synopsis and/or pertinent tags, or linking similar or related fanfics. Reviews are also encouraged, but please make sure to make reviews have substance; if you simply want to recommend a fic without an extensive review, put your Troper name in the Recommended by line of the fic in question. Please use the discussion page for conversations about fics.
- Recommended by: Aoneko
- Status: Ongoing
- Tags: Next generation spinoff, heteromance, web/light novel spoilers
- Synopsis: Two decades after the War of Worlds (the final battle against Medea), all is well in Melromarc. That is, until a favored son and heir disappears without a trace. A story about life, love, and letting go as one band (a sister, a lover, a best friend, and a reporter) set out in search of the person that was lost to the world. [Contains elements from both the web and light novels]
- Recomended by: LordVectorum84
- Status: Ongoing
- Synopsis: Malty S Melromarc, the selfish and scheming first princess of Melromarc suddenly finds herself at a loss when her father summoned all four Legendary Heroes. Following father and the Church's plan to frame the Shield Hero is easy and comfortable, but will it fulfill her life long ambition to become the next queen?
- Comments: Considering how universally Malty is despised, it's interesting to have a story driven from her perspective. Malty remains every bit as ambitious and ruthless but gets more insight into her character and motivation. She also sticks with Naofumi, this time round which makes me interested to see if her character will grow and change as the story progresses and what effects her presence will have on the narrative.
- Similarly, not only is it a ballsy move to even attempt this kind of fanfiction, but the changes made to Malty herself may be seen by some (myself included) as an improvement to what was considered a somewhat underwhelming villain in canon. It helps that fleshing her out, grounding her characterization in reality, and making her semi-likable to the audience (rather than keeping her a one-note Hate Sink to be pathetically disposed of) will add to an entertaining experience, especially concerning the main villain. I second this recommendation, especially if you're looking for something that breaks the mold. -Ace Triad.
- Recommended by: konekootome
- Status: Complete
- Tags: Discussions of sexual assault, homosexual sex, dubious consent, mind control
- Synopsis: Itsuki thought this was following the rails of every cliche RPG plot: of the weird one is the traitor. But Itsuki and the other heroes get a cold splash of reality when Naofumi dragged to his "trial" naked with marks of sexual battery, covered in slave brands and under the influence of a spell...
- Comments: Having Malty's plot flipped on her is glorious. Having three Japanese men trying to wrap their heads of having one of their own raped and nearly enslaved while trying to delicately tread the topic and investigate what happen is rather moving. Having Naofumi finally get laid and have no idea what's going on is uncomfortably hilarious.
- It has a fan-sequel Therapy is Overrated (In Fantasy Land?) where the other three heroes come to terms with their dangerous new reality while supporting an oblivious Naofumi.
- Recommended by: VictorioMWolff-Haddock
- Crossover with: Yakuza 6
- Status: Ongoing
- Synopsis: Kazuma Kiryu didn't think he had much left to do in his life in regards to fighting. But as it turns out, he still had a lot more work to do. But this time, he'll be the one to help share the burden with a broken hero. (SPOILER ALERT: Yakuza 6 endgame spoilers)
- Comments: Julius Harken, a disgraced warlock of the Melromarc Kingdom because of his belief that the Shield Hero is not as horrible as the legend sound, ran away carrying a pair of bracers that was guarded under the kingdom's vault, wich is believed to belong to some unknown warrior & presumably they would summon a warrior much like the Legendary Four Heroes, despite none has able to prove it, even assumed that they were fake or just a false legend . As his hometown got raided, Julius desperately try to use the bracers to summon someone ... anyone who would hear his plea. And that's how Kazuma Kiryu, fresh from his Faking the Dead at the game's finale, start his new life, away from Haruka & The Orphanage, as The Weaponless Hero
- Recommended by: TheDudeMan400
- Crossover with: Fate/stay night
- Status: On Going
- Synopsis: Shirou never expected to be summoned to another world, but now all he wants to do is finish save it so that he could return home to his family. But it order to return home he will first have to survive. First rule of surviving as a summoned hero; don't trust ANYONE.