These are recommendations made by Tropers for Overlord fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page. No-name recommendations will be Zapped. Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
- Recommended by Fabuzer, knowmenot101
- Status: Dead; last updated January 2016
- Synopsis: Six Gods descended upon the world and brought salvation to humanity. Eight Greed Kings were set free to destroy everything those before them had built. Forty-One Supreme Beings would be called forth to surpass them all. Momonga's heartfelt wish is granted, but all things come at a price.
- Comments: An AU "what if the other Supreme Beings were dragged in YGGDRASIL as well?". They don't all show up in a single place together, but scattered in space and time. Now it's Ainz Ooal Gown's mission to find them all. Even in the first chapters, events start to change and the repercussions are shown and handled well. The characterization is interesting and believable, showing how Ainz could have been if he had a friend at his side from the beginning. Even the perspectives of the other Supreme Beings are no less intriguing. Very well-written.
- Recommended by deadpan29
- Status: Dead; last updated April 2017
- Set after volume 10 of the light novels. A collection of stories concerning the rise of the city of E-Rantel under the rule of Ainz Ooal Gown and assorted NPC hi-jinks.
- Comments: These stories do an excellent job of capturing the humor of the series, the reactions of the people of the world, and the simultaneously wacky yet horrifying psychology of the Nazarick guardians and servants.
Seraphim by willy.hizzy
- Recommended by Pompeii77
- Status: Dormant; last updated March 2018
- Synopsis: Apart from Momonga there were many others who were in Yggdrasil on the last day. This is the story of such a character. On the last day of Yggdrasil one of the key members of the Angel-Type Guild Seraphim stays behind to clean up after an in-game party. She later finds herself caught up in the most bizarre situation.
- Comments: The fanfiction works well in establishing the new rules and lore of the other side of Yggdrasil and presented itself as a sort of spinoff anime akin to To Aru Kagaku no Railgun.
The Problem of Evil by Bluepencil
- Recommended by rain_and_thunder
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: Because removing evil is not the same as creating good. How to direct Demiurge's sadism towards more useful pursuits.
- Recommended by doubledamn
- Status: Ongoing; last updated April 2020
- Synopsis: On that day, Momonga was not alone; one of the First Guildmates stood with him till the end; together, as Supreme Beings of Nazarick, they begun to understand that this world was exactly what they desired, may the gods have mercy on whoever is fool enough to stand on their way.
- Recommended by K 9 Thefirst 1
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: Ainz finally tells the truth. Demiurge doesn't take it well. A short, silly story about the guardians finding out that Ainz is secretly clueless.
- Comments: A fic that explores in brief what would happen if Ainz the Dramatic Irony much of the story's drama and humor is built on - the gross misinterpretation of Momonga by Nazarick's denizens - is thrown away, and how the Guardians respond to the truth.
- Recommended by D Blaviken
- Status: Ongoing, last update May 2020
- Synopsis: Everything has to come to an end at some point and YGGDRASIL was no different. I had a lot of good memories with this game and made even better friends, though now they've left to move on better things in life. Now I and my last and best friend await the end in his guild base to the game we so love. Except it's not the end. If anything, it's just beginning.
- Comments: An plus one OC fic. However, this OC affects the world around him while behaving like a real human being himself. While there is not much interactions between the Guardians and the OC, the relationship between Dracul and Ainz is very intriguing. Ainz has proven that his rational thinking and calm demeanor can help a rash teenager, while Dracul's enhanced emotions has proven to be a good Morality Chain for Ainz himself. Very well-written.
- Recommended by Karlov
- Status: Dead; last update October 2016
- Synopsis: Around us is full of contrasts - the universe loves extremes. Cold is where there is no heat; Darkness - where there is no light; Devil is where there is no God. The universe loves contrasts. Today - the administrator of the middle hand, seriously experiencing the loss of his wife. Tomorrow is the head of the organization of many thousands in the world "magical Middle Ages", the Voice of the Almighty, the Messenger of the True God. In the subordination: the angels, the spirits of the Elements, the Inquisition, the knights and those whom stupid mortals call the Gods. Subordinates, all as one - on the side of Good, their honesty is beyond doubt, their ideals are indestructible, their Faith in their leader is absolute. But the universe loves contrasts, and extremes always go in pairs. If there is heat, there is cold; If there is light, there will be darkness; If there is a God, the Devil will be found. Metatron has only a little time, and there is absolutely no choice - the countdown begins ...
- Comments: It's a Russian fanfic, but it's beautiful. Ainz Ooal Gown absent, иut in its place another main character at the head of the guild really good characters. Absolutely another story, non Nazarick, but the appearance of a new guild of villains is expected. Very well-written.
Wayward Journeys by Barrour
- Recommended by Awareness Bringer
- Status: Ongoing; last update July 2019
- Synopsis: The Yggdrasil ended slightly differently and now Momonga might be alone in the new world. And yet maybe not. [Momonga was outside Nazarick fic, No OC]
- Comments: While not the first author to explore the idea of Momonga being alone in the New World, Barrour has written their story in a nice enough detail to be read worthy.
Overlord: Reaper of Souls by The Eternal Winter
- Recommended by Awareness Bringer
- Status: Dormant; last updated December 2018
- Synopsis: The smallest change can lead to the biggest of impacts. Momonga wasn't saved by Touch Me when he was being PKed by other players. Instead, he was saved by Tabula Smaragdina which led him taking a different path during his time playing YGGDRASIL. Momonga will take the new world by storm not as an Overlord but as a Reaper of Souls, a master of both life and death. AU
- Comments: Not necessarily the first Overlord story to have Momonga/Ainz be of a different racial class, but Reaper of Souls is well-written in my opinion and The Eternal Winter has done a great job of granting him empathy as a person.
Age of Overlords by Lord Kragan/GhazzgulThraka
- Recommended by Berzerkerking.
- Status: Dead; last updated January 2017
- Synopsis: The Tomb of Nazarick's arrival to the New World triggers and reactivates connections long extinguished as other worlds discover this place. The inhabitants aren't alone now, nor are they at the pinnacle. This, though, is the beginning of a new era. This is the Age of Overlords.
- Comments: Set at the beginning of volume 2 this story is set in the Age of Sigmar setting: the New World was the world the Elven gods of the old Warhammer made to save something. With the appearance of Ainz Ooal Gown, this triggers the connections to the realms and makes a gate to Nagash's domains. It goes as well as you can expect. Battle scenes are quite well written and there are some memorable moments. One has to complain he handwaves a few things (that he goes to explain in SB comments) but it's nevertheless enjoyable and compelling.