These are recommendations made by Tropers for Monster Hunter fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on their respective pages. Feel free to add a recommendation of your own to the appropriate list, but remember to use the template found here.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. You can do it by expanding on the synopsis and/or pertinent tags, or linking similar or related fanfics. Reviews are also encouraged, but please make sure to make reviews have substance; if you simply want to recommend a fic without an extensive review, put your Troper name in the Recommended by line of the fic in question. Please use the discussion page for conversations about fics.
General FicsThe Lost Civilization by dashboardgecko
- Recommended by Charlie 019, Makuta 9999
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: Long ago the old world was destroyed and reborn with monsters wandering the land, creating the era of hunters. But strange people have begun appearing, claiming to be from a destroyed world. How will these people fare in the world of the hunters?
- Comments: If you're a true fan of Monster Hunter, this is a must-read. With 49 chapters and 1,000,000 plus words, this is nothing short of awesome. The story is not just covers monster hunting, but also covers many of the gameplay mechanics such as the pitfall trap, which has a rather sensible explanation on how it works. Characters are no longer made of steel, as there are numerous instances which the hunters more often than not comes back with broken bones, concussions or some other kind of injury. Actions scenes are vividly displayed and described. The overall plot is rather good as well, with a couple twists in the Monster Hunter universe, such as the feared Alatreon, making it an epic fantasy story.
A Mother's Love By Shingetsumoon
- Recommended by Emolsifier
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: All Alistair wanted was to finish the quest and get in some long overdue vacation time. Instead, she's now responsible for raising two baby rathalos when the eggs she was supposed to deliver end up hatching. Now she has to raise them and deal with problems from her past as well. This was NOT part of the job description.
- Comments: Set in a very vibrant slightly AU world where monsters can be seen in human society as pets and companions. It explores the age-old question of "what would it be like if you could have a monster as a pet" in a beautiful and sometimes horrifying fashion. Part of the charm is watching the baby rathalos' grow up physically and mentally. The human characters are nothing to sneeze at either with realistic backgrounds that will have you exploring things you would not have expected in a monster hunter fic. The fic is a story of healing and growth alongside suffering and scars.
The Master Corps By Thomas A. Hawk
- Recommended by Je Suis Monte
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: Among the mighty hunters of the world, a few individuals stand at the true peak of strength, skill, and ability. It was one man's vision to bring these individuals together and create the ultimate monster slaying group, dedicated to combating the toughest of monsters and uncovering the secrets of the past. This group is known as the Master Corps, and they live up to the name.
- Comments: Beginning as a pretty typical story of a hunter rising to meet the legacy set forth by his father, this fic quickly turns out to be something far deeper, with themes such as self-doubt, acceptance, and whats best for the world being prominent throughout. With 47 chapters and almost 600,000 words, this is a fantastical story that really makes you feel for all the characters, even some of the villains. It does a great job mixing serious moments with humor, and features without a doubt some of the most intense and over the top fight scenes I have ever seen. This one is definitely a must-read.
- The author's first work, which is a prequel to this one The Hunter's Oath
- Also has a collection of humorous side chapters with varying canonicity, ala dashboardgecko's The Lost Civilization: DLC The Master Corps: Supplementary Chapters (Dead)
- Also also has a short side story after the main story that focuses on one of the main characters The Master Corps: Whiteout (Complete)