Princess Twilight Sparkle and her Number One Assistant Spike discover a mysterious Artifact of Doom—and Twilight ends up placed under a terrible killing curse, and the only way to keep it from slaying her is to put her into a magical coma. And, with that, Spike's entire world falls apart. How will this terrible ordeal affect him, who is just a little kid? And is there any way he can save Twilight from the curse so that she can wake up? And why is Princess Celestia refusing to help him in any way?
The story is planned as a long epic. However, only Book 1 has been (almost) completed, and the story has been on hiatus since August 2014.
Not to be confused with the comic book of the same name.
Zenith contains examples of:
- Ancient Conspiracy: There appears to be one surrounding Princess Celestia and the Pillar of the Sun.
- Bathroom Break-Out: To escape from the guards, Spike asks to go to the bathroom. The guards eventually realize that Spike's trying to escape and barge in, but by then he's left misdirecting clues to make them think he's trying an Air Vent Escape. They rush out to stop him while he's actually hiding inside a throw pillow.
- Batman Gambit: It's heavily implied that Celestia deliberately set things up so that Spike learns of the nature of the Zenith, knowing that once this happens he'll do everything in his power to save Twilight on his own.
- Broken Smile: Spike sports one when he finds out that Celestia knew that she was sending Twilight to the location of the Pillar of the Sun.
- Converse with the Unconscious: Spike regularly reads to the comatose Twilight from her favorite book. However, he also has entire normal conversations with her where he tells her what he's been up to, and pleads her to wake up; he is afraid of being overheard doing that, lest someone think that he's going insane.
- Dead Fic: With the story not being updated since 2014, and the author himself not being active in the MLP community since around 2016, it's unlikely the story will ever get finished.
- Madness Mantra: "Twilight cant wake up to a monster."
- My God, What Have I Done?: Celestia goes through one when she finds out what her actions ended up doing to Spike.
- OOC Is Serious Business: The rest of Twilight's friends are really concerned about Spike because of this.
- Sanity Slippage: Spike goes through one throughout the entire story.
- Undying Loyalty: Spike to Twilight, naturally. Even as she's lying comatose in the hospital.
- Wham Line: "I guess that makes me an outlaw, huh?"