Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-VOC is a Self-Insert Fic first uploaded by OP Fan 37 on October 4th, 2014. It is a Self Insert story featuring Elliot that follows the main plotline of Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V, with differences within the story and backstory of the cast
The story follows the journey of the protagonist Elliot, a teenage boy from the real world, through the world of Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V after he is mysteriously transported there. Elliot is thrust into this new world with a new appearance, outfit, and Deck.
Following this, Elliot meets Yuya Sakaki, an aspiring Entertainment Duelist and the main protagonist of Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V and befriends him and his friends at the You Show Duel School. Elliot follows the journey of Yuya through the plot of the show, and along the way discovers why he was brought to the world.
Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-VOC is the most favorited Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V fanfiction on the site with 71 chapters (with 401,840 words), and of October 4th, 2017 has 1,834 reviews, 309 favorites and 295 follows. The story is also notable as it manages to avoid the common pitfalls of self-insert fics, as well as fleshing out many original characters, adding new legacy characters and plotlines. As opposed to just throwing an Author Avatar into a rehash of the anime, new plots are added, the new legacy are characters are well developed and some elements left alone in the anime are explored in great depth.
It can be found here here
Provides Examples of:
- Absurdly High-Stakes Game: It IS Yu-Gi-Oh! after all. Most notable later in the Fusion Arc.
- Academy of Evil: Academia, in this universe, is an evil school that conquers an innocent dimension and turns civilians into cards, hunts down the survivors and is making plans to do the same to both the Synchro and Standard Dimensions
- Action Girl: Most of the female cast qualifies as this
- Alternate Self: Just like in canon Yuya and Yuzu have counterparts from the other three dimensions. Elliot too has them, in the form of Anzel (Xyz), Leiko (Synchro) and Hotaru (Fusion)
- And I Must Scream: Just like in canon, using the right technology, victors can seal people into cards.
- Anime Hair: As is the tradition for Yu-Gi-Oh. Other than the canon characters, Elliot has crimson red and dark blue spiky hair.
- Arrogant Duelist: Many of the villains can be this, however, notable is Isao Kachidoki, who actually physically beats the stuffing out of Yuya
- Big Good: Orion, Paluis and Zevrakex, the beings of balance. They are responsible for sending Elliot into Arc-V. It later turns out, they were actually created by the Big Bad; Ari.
- Book-Ends: The first and final duel. Both are Elliot vs Yuya. Both of them also end with a battle between Timestream Dragon and Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon, however Elliot wins the first duel and loses the last one.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Before the Synchro arc, Gratuitous Japanese, as well as Lampshade Hanging of typical Yu-Gi-Oh! and Anime tropes were a lot more common.
- I Never Told You My Name: Hotaru does a downplayed version of this in Chapter 59. He reveals Elliot´s real surname, Reid, which was up to that point not stated by ANY character in the story and he immediately reveals how he found it out.Being the memory part of Elliot Kirek, he has access to every memory of all of Elliot´s counterparts and this only the start of an even huger reveal.
- Irony: In Chapter 1 Elliot says: "...I know better than to give you my second name. I´m not telling you my age or where i live or any of that,..." Most of these are revealed later in the story.
- Line-of-Sight Name: Downplayed. Not wanting to tell Yuya his real name, he makes up the name "Zekaki", which sounds suspiciously similiar to Yuya´s last name
- Naïve Newcomer: At first, Elliot has no idea about anything Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V related, like Action Cards and Pendulum Summoning, as he didn´t watch past Zexal.
- Purple Prose: As the story progresses Monsters and cards in general are described in more detail
- Skyward Scream: Elliot; after his loss and Near-Death Experience against his Ax-Crazy Alternate Self Hotaru
- Superpowered Evil Side: Due to influence of Zarc and Ari respectively, Yuya and Elliot both have these
- The Stations of the Canon: One of the examples why Tropes Are Not Bad. While nearly all events that happened in canon happened here as well, most of them are Out of Focus and we only got a brief summary of Elliot´s reaction, and there are a LOT of characters and plotlines added.
- This Cannot Be!: Elliot´s initial reaction to finding himself in an anime world. This quote from the end of Chapter 1 sums it up.Elliot: [to himself] Crap! I´m in trouble! This is one crazy dream!
- The same occurs, when he finds out that He, despite not being part of the Arc-V anime, has an Suspiciously Similar Substitute, just like Yuya
- Ontological Mystery: How the story begins. Elliot looks at his deck, finds an unknown card that starts to glow and suddenly finds himself in an anime world. Orion, Zevrakex and Paluis sent him to this world as Peacekeeper between the dimensions and so he could be Elliot Kireks missing "Heart" and Standard piece.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: The only time Elliot reacts to a non-canon, but major character´s appeareance, despite having a Laptop that sends him all past episodes, is when he encounters Hotaru for the first time.