You're the Hero of Light, Charlie Brown is a Mega Crossover story on Fanfiction.net. It begins as the terrifying Guardian of Darkness, the Dark Witch, is freed from her prison, resulting in a war of universal proportions as villains from over a dozen worlds are recruited into her army, while the heroes are brought together to fight for the forces of Light.
As the title suggests, the storys main focus is Charlie Brown, who inherits vast powers over light following the death of the previous Guardian of Light, Sparky. Though a reluctant and unconfident hero, Charlie Brown takes on the responsibility of the universes new protector.
At over 200,000 words in only ten chapters, Youre the Hero of Light Charlie Brown is the longest story in the Peanuts crossovers section on Fanfiction.net, and possibly the longest fanfiction starring a Peanuts character. In addition to Peanuts, the story is also predicted to feature characters from Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Marvel, The DCU, Xiaolin Showdown and several other series, although so far only the Mario world has been visited.
This Fanfic provides examples of:
- Adaptational Villainy: Joe Agate is a minor bully in the Peanuts comic strip who tricks Rerun out of all his marbles, for which Charlie Brown challenges him to a game to win them back. In this story, he is The Dragon to the Dark Witch, and is motivated by the desire to murder Charlie Brown and destroy everything he cares about for beating him at said marble game.
- Alternate Universe: The Peanuts world featured in the story can be considered this. Throughout the story characters reference events that happen throughout the comic strip as well as the Animated Specials, and characters exclusive to the animated adaptions like Freddie Fabulous and Melody Melody are also featured. Charles M Schulz, the creator of Peanuts, has gone on record saying that the Animated Specials are not canon to the strip, though the author of the Fanfiction has yet to confirm this.
- Ascended Extra: Joe Agate is a very minor character in Peanuts canon, only physically appearing in two comic strips, which were adapted into the special He's a Bully, Charlie Brown. Here he is given the role of secondary villain.
- Thibault, another Peanuts bully, also counts as this, being a bumbling sidekick to Joe Agate.
- Darker and Edgier: The story is a lot more serious in regards to the abuse Charlie Brown suffers at the hands of his friends and how it leaves him depressed. It is also surprisingly violent for a Peanuts fanfiction, the prologue begins with a character being murdered and the revelation that the Dark Witch previously reduced half the universe into Heartless upon losing faith in humanity's ability to look after themselves. This may have been temporary however, as since the start of the Mushroom Kingdom Arc the story has become considerably Lighter and Softer.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Eggman and Bowser both uphold themselves to this trope, being unwilling to kill or otherwise harm children. Bowser even lampshades it in chapter ten.
- FaceHeel Turn: The Dark Witch was originally a benevolent Guardian of the Realm of Darkness, who ruled her half of the universe with love and took care of her people, though her brother Sparky does note that she interfered too much. After seeing people commit evil acts, she apparently lost her sanity and removed the free will from the hearts of everyone under her care, turning them into Heartless. She then declared war on the Realm of Light in order to do the same thing to the rest of the universe, for which her brother Sparky, the Guardian of Light, was forced to seal her away in a bottle. By the time she is released, she has apparently lost much of her loving nature, and while she still believes her cause is just, she is now well and truly evil.
- Funny Animal: Sparky is an example of this, being a purple-furred, humanoid dog dressed in white robes.
- The Heartless: The Trope namer's appear in the story as the residents of the Realm of Darkness. As part of the backstory, the Dark Witch is described to have stripped her people of all free will and destroyed their conscious minds, as well as removing any traces of light in their hearts. They now form the grand majority of the Witch's army.
- Killed Off for Real: Technically, Sparky. In the first chapter he is stabbed through the heart and killed by the Dark Witch, but as a spirit he appears in every other chapter of the story as Charlie Browns mentor.
- Mega Crossover: At the time of this writing, the story is expected to feature characters from Peanuts, Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, The Powerpuff Girls, Marvel, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Crash Bandicoot, Harry Potter, Pokémon, Dragon Ball Z, The Simpsons, Spyro the Dragon, Rayman, The Chronicles of Narnia, Jackie Chan Adventures, Xiaolin Showdown, Code Lyoko, Naruto, Kingdom Hearts, Ratchet & Clank, Young Justice (2010), Yu-Gi-Oh! and Ben 10: Ultimate Alien. The author has admitted however that some of these series might only have a partial reference (Aslan and Exodia for example are among the creator Gods in the story while the Heartless from Kingdom Hearts Serve as the Dark Witch's army).
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: It's suggested that being a Guardian constitutes this. During his first fight with Joe Agate, Charlie Brown inexplicably traps his opponent in a sphere of light attached to a chain, an ability he has not shown before, and the Witch later notes that Guardians of Light and Darkness can learn to harness new abilities by instinct if the situation calls for them.
- OC: Only two, Sparky and The Dark Witch, the former Guardian of Light and the Guardian of Darkness respectively.
- Parental Substitute: Sparky appears to fill this role for Charlie Brown, giving him advice and comfort while training him to take over as Guardian of Light. Considering the lack of adults in Peanuts, which the story appears to be staying true to, its likely Sparky will continue to play this role in the future.
- The Power of Friendship: Much of Charlie Brown's powers over light appear to be drawn from his need to protect those close to him.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Franklin delivers a glorious one of these to the rest of the Peanuts gang in Chapter 3, calling Lucy, Violet and everyone else out on their deplorable treatment of Charlie Brown, their inability to stand up for and support him and how they constantly blame him for everything that goes wrong and how their actions could very well drive Charlie Brown to suicide one day. Needless to say by the time he's done, everyone is left devastated and remorseful.
- There Are No Adults: True for the Peanuts world at least, as no adults native to that world have been shown thus far. This doesn't appear to apply to characters from other series though, as the Mario brothers appear as major characters.