You are My Sunshine is a Trollhunters fanfic by rockymountainvixen.
A few short months after being abandoned by James, Barbara and Jim have finally regained some stability; only to have their lives completely shattered by a single, inexplicable event. Now they have a devastating secret to keep, even if it means isolating themselves from everyone around them. But as the years go by, people are starting to ask questions, and their carefully crafted facade begins to crack.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Adult Fear: The fact that your child winds up with a debilitating condition that severely limits his ability to just be a normal child like everyone else (especially when one could argue that it is your fault that it happened) must have been a frightening reality to face for Barbara.
- When Barbra catches Jim eating a raw, freshly dead rabbit. Not only does the sight sicken her, but the fact that Jim has been trying to suppress this new, sudden urge for weeks worries her.
- Ascended Fridge Horror: On his fifteenth birthday, the ramifications of all of the basic things normal high schoolers do that he cannot due to his "condition" hit Jim all at once and he has an emotional breakdown and breaks down crying in the halls in-front of Toby, Steve and the rest of his classmates. Unaware of the truth, Toby thinks it is because of his father's abandonment on his fifth birthday.
- Enfant Terrible: With the emotional trauma that his abrupt and unexplained transformation forced onto the young Jim, as well as the various limitations with keeping it a secret from humans, Jim has a tendency to go on tantrums that are very destructive given his Super Strength. It is not until he accidentally breaks his mother's arm and she leaves to the hospital without telling him where she is going does he snap out of this.
- My God, What Have I Done?: It is not until Jim accidentally break his mother's arm in one of his tantrums does the full weight of his actions and just how dangerous he really is in his troll form occur to him. Conversely, after having her broken arm put in a cast from the hospital, she finds a distraught Jim, only then realizing that she had left without warning without telling him where she was just like how her husband and his father left them, Jim thinking she would leave forever just like he did.
- Nice Day, Deadly Night: During the day, Jim is just a normal child. But due to the mysterious properties of the bath bomb he bathed in, he ends up turning into a troll during the night.
- Noodle Incident: When Jim has to double-check Barbara's cooking instincts.Honestly, set one measly little pasta salad on fire and suddenly your eight year old thought you needed supervision.
- Parents as People: While Barbara loves Jim unconditionally, the stress of her job combined with the new living situation of being a single parent can be hard enough. Add on the fact that her son (who isn't even in his teens yet) transforms into a troll that Does Not Know His Own Strength and is not allowed to do things other kids his age could do due to the fear of people finding out is another problem entirely. Sometimes when his frustrations boil over into tantrums, she is too exhausted to deal with it and ends up locking him in the basement until he tires himself out. As guilty as this makes her feel about it, it is the closest thing she has to a solution in coping with the situation.
- Recurring Dreams: Barbara has suffered from nightmares of Men in Black stealing Jim away ever since his transformations starting.