Karen is a nineteen year old who lives in the small rural town of Flowerbud Village. Between helping out on her family's dying vineyard and working a part-time job at the local bar, Karen's life is less than pleasant. She often dreams of running off to the city and becoming a dancer. However, her melancholy life changes when a young man around her age arrives in town to take over his grandfather's old farm.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Gotz is verbally abusive towards Karen. He's never hit her, but he's always angry and used to lock her in the wine cellar when she was younger.
- The Alcoholic: Both Karen and her father Gotz. By the end, Karen's sobered up to the point where she no longer drinks to get drunk, but she's still a fan of wine.
- Alcoholic Parent: Because of his failing vineyard, Gotz has turned to alcohol over the years. He used to be a "happy drunk", but he's since become quick-tempered.
- Birth/Death Juxtaposition: Karen was born on the day her grandmother Eve died.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Between Karen and Jack. They met as kids and then met again as adults.
- Childhood Friends: Ann and Karen have been best friends for years.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: Jack and Karen met when they were five. They became friends and promised to get married as adults.
- Domestic Abuse: Ann and Cliff have a Belligerent Sexual Tension-filled relationship that frequently turns abusive. They love each other, but they're always fighting and Cliff often ends up bruised as a result.
- Forgotten First Meeting: It takes a while for Karen to associate Jack with her childhood friend.
- Shout-Out: The title comes from a Japanese song.