Windfall is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanfic that takes place several years after the end of Season One. Twilight Sparkle's circle of friends have remained close, even after they've gone their separate ways: Twilight herself is a graduate student at Canterlot University, Applejack is still running the family farm, Pinkie Pie is engaged to Caramel and still working at Sugar Cube Corner, Rarity's clothing business is booming enough that she's opened a second boutique in Canterlot, Rainbow Dash is a proud member of the Wonderbolts, and Fluttershy and Big Macintosh are happily married and expecting their first foal...
Tonight, if Pinkie's "Pinkie Sense" is any indication. Hilarity Ensues as the old gang scrambles to get the word out and get everypony together for the blessed event, through wind, rain, mud, and other minor disasters.
Followed by a sequel, Earth and Sky.
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Angrish: Applejack descends into this after running out of swears.
- Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?: Caramel tells Pinkie that pink doesn't look as good on him "as it does on a certain mare I know." Pinkie proceeds to list just about all the pink or pinkish mares she knows besides herself. Some of which aren't even pink!
- Big Entrance: Twilight arrives via teleportation, complete with a bright flash and standing in a crater when it's done.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Thanks to Pinkie Pie, as usual."Princess Celestia isn't pink."
"I know, right? But try telling that to Hasb "
- Cool Old Lady: Granny Smith manages to handily break up an argument between Nurse Redheart and Zecora. The midwife, Cabbage Leaf, is a mare to be reckoned with as well.
- Fauxreigner: Scootaloo's dance partner, Mango Salsa, drops both Gratuitous Spanish and Gratuitous German, but is a plain ol' Equestrian boy according to Word of God.
- Fantastic Racism: Nurse Redheart has some pretty harsh things to say to Zecora when the two argue over whether to let Fluttershy have her foal at home or at the hospital.
- Got Me Doing It: Nurse Redheart finds herself speaking in rhyme during an argument with Zecora.
- Happily Married: Fluttershy and Big Macintosh. Pinkie Pie and Caramel are also quite happy together.
- Hypocritical Humor: Applejack admonishes Apple Bloom for using "horse apples" in front of company, then immediately afterwards cusses up a storm when she and Caramel are moving a wagon out of the way while trying to clear a landing zone for Rainbow Dash. Apple Bloom naturally lampshades this.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Poor Nurse Redheart. Word of God implies that Fluttershy used The Stare on her.
- Jaw Drop: Rainbow Dash doing a Sonic Rainboom on her way to Ponyville gets this reaction from a great many of her fans.
- Metaphorgotten: Courtesy of Pinkie Pie:"Savory foods and me are kinda like dragons and bicycles [ ] Nothing to do with one another. Although if you gave Spike a tricycle I bet he'd be as cute as all get out. And we could race! I wonder if there's a place where you can rent tricycles in Canterlot."
- Mythology Gag: In the final chapter, Pinkie Pie does a playful (and uncannily accurate) imitation of Fluttershy. The uncanny accuracy is probably 'cause on the show, Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy are both voiced by Andrea Libman. Also, Rainbow Dash reveals she used to have a Fire Fly plushie when she was a kid.
- Noisy Shutup: Granny Smith breaks up the chaos outside the house with a loud whistle and gets everypony back on track.
- Older and Wiser: The Mane Cast, while still in character, have gotten a good bit wiser during the Time Skip.
- Putting the Band Back Together: All of Fluttershy's friends want to be there in time for the birth.
- Running Gag: Caramel's inability to pronounce "pfefferneusse", Apple Bloom having to draw a bath every time someone arrives at Sweet Apple Acres.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Caramel and Pinkie
- Screaming Birth: Fluttershy is heard yelling at Big Macintosh and trying to strangle him at one point, though Granny Smith claims "I sure as shootin' weren't so gentle with my husband when I was a-birthin' my first.", much to everypony's surprise.
- Sweet Apple Acres has a new farm dog, Naomi, presumably the daughter of their old dog Winona (as in Wynnona and Naomi Judd).
- Applejack has a surrey with a fringe on top ready to take Fluttershy to the hospital if necessary.
- After chasing Pinkie Pie through the rain to Sweet Apple Acres, a frustrated Rarity demands an explanation of what's going on, shouting "I'm WET! And HYSTERICAL!"
- We first see Twilight giving a lecture that quotes Professor Farnsworth's lecture from the Futurama episode "Mars University".
- That Came Out Wrong: When Sweetie Belle tries to tell Spike that Fluttershy is having her foal.Spike: What are you doing here?
Sweetie Belle: Having a foal!
- Title Drop: "Windfall Apple" is the name Fluttershy gives her baby girl.
- Too Fast to Stop: Anticipating this trope from past experience, Twilight hastily has the girls prepare a landing zone for Rainbow Dash. Ultimately subverted when Rainbow Dash casually lands, having apparently outgrown this problem some time ago.
- Wacky Cravings: Fluttershy's had a few of these, according to Pinkie Pie.