Naruto Wind Monk Banishment is a Naruto fanfiction by Born Of Prayers. Naruto is banished from Konoha by Tsunade in an attempt to secretly hand him over to Jiraiya for 3 years of training while winning some political ground to deal with the council.
Unfortunately, she gets drunk and approved some clauses that essentially screw Naruto over, including removing his ability to use hand seals and canceling his contract with the Toads. By the time Jiraiya and Tsunade find out, he's already gone, never to be seen again until 4 years later, escorting the Wind Daimyo, Kanna.
From there, Akatsuki begins to make their move.
Unique in that it takes a realistic look at what actually could have led to Naruto's banishment in the aftermath of the successful Sasuke Retrieval Mission, rather than just writing it off to the entire village irrationally hating Naruto (A line that far too many fics seem to follow), and in that no characters are bashed. Even Sasuke, who is usually portrayed as some sort of Jerkass in the "banishment" fic genre actually is a pretty good guy in the story. It is also one of the few stories starring Fu.
The story has been split into three different ones, with the main series being joined by two side-series that recounts the past of Fuu (Beetle Chronicles) and Naruto (Fox Chronicles) prior to their meeting.
A Dead Fic. The Author deleted the stories from their fanfiction dot net page, though it's still hosted on his personal site and deviantart.
Tropes found in this fanfiction:
- Adaptational Bad Ass: Iruka and Asuma being the main cases.
- Big Damn Heroes: Itachi personified.
- Berserk Button: Calling Naruto the Kyuubi.
- Break the Cutie: Hinata was mentally bullied until she could no longer see Naruto as anything but the Kyuubi.
- Above does not convey the extent. She is to Naruto what canon Sasuke was to Itachi. It is that bad.
- Brutal Honesty: Shino pointing out how Fuu could've led to Naruto being killed by Akatsuki or Orochimaru. Dark Naruto doesn't hold back either.
- Childhood Friends: Beetle Chronicles reveals that Fuu and Shibuki are this to one another, due to her being the Jinchuuriki and him being the Village Leader's son at the time. They were close until an incident led to her staying out of the village, but the feelings never once wavered.
- Child Soldiers: Cool jutsu is nice and all, until you remember the fact that they are meant to be used during war, where even 8 year olds have fought in.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Dark Fuu makes Fuu out to be this.
- Murder the Hypotenuse : She suggests doing this to Kanna
- Cool Old Guy / Lovable Sex Maniac: Jiraiya (Pervy Sage) and Hyoudou (Pervy Master)
- Crapsack World: Pointed out, numerous times.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The Battle of Old Uzushio. Once Orochimaru and Akatsuki showed up, there was no chance in hell for Naruto to win.
- Deadpan Snarker: Shino, even while giving a "The Reason You Suck" Speech to Fuu.
- Determinator: Naruto fought desperately and stood up when it would be easier to quit, but he still got captured and taken back to Konoha.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Itachi dies in Sasuke's hands.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Kiba, ironically, to Hinata.
- Double Entendre: A lot in the earlier battles involving Fuu and Akatsuki.
- Expy: Hyoudou Issei is Naruto's kenjutsu teacher.
- Fond Memories That Could Have Been: Hinata has these of the canon ending of Naruto, where they were married and had kids, as she dies.
- Friendly Enemy: Naruto and Sasuke, during their first rematch. He honestly forgives Sasuke for the assassination technique through the chest and he really just wanted to be left alone. Sasuke honestly feels bad, but he's loyal to the Sannin.
- Friend to Bugs: Shino and Fuu.
- Get Out!: Gaara's follow up to his "Reason You Suck" Speech to Kakashi.
- Go Out with a Smile: Hinata.
- Hannibal Lecture: Dark Naruto excels at this, and best of all, never lied. Dark Fuu is attempting this currently.
- Orochimaru tried to give one to Jiraiya. He cut his tongue off and hit him with a Rasengan.
- In Spite of a Nail: Orochimaru still gets sealed by Itachi.
- It Is Beyond Saving: Dark Naruto's take on the world crafted by the Sage of Six Paths. Naruto eventually agrees with him and decides to remove the Ninja system by taking away his gift, the ability to mold chakra.
- Just Between You and Me: Tobi to Sasuke, about his plans to fake Naruto's death and use Hinata as a scapegoat. He makes it clear he was going to kill them both and use that as a Murder-Suicide, but then Itachi showed up.
- The Magic Goes Away: Naruto's goal post-merging with Dark Naruto is to sever the ability to link physical energy with spiritual energy to stop shinobi from abusing the Sage of the Six Path's gift. He's essentially ridding them of the ability to use Chakra entirely.
- My Greatest Failure: Hyoudou ran away and left Mifune to confront Hanzo alone, despite being older.
- Old Master: If they're old and a shinobi, monk, or samurai, ass will be kicked.
- One-Man Army: Itachi, sick and dying, managed to take out ROOT and Danzo before doing battle with Tobi.
- Only Friend: Shibuki was this to Fuu when she was a child. She states to herself the only reason she didn't run away from the village and let Grass burn it down was because of him.
- Pragmatic Villainy: The smarter Akatsuki members practice this. It's the reason Naruto hates it when the smart ones get away.
- Kakuzu and Sasori both attacked when they saw an opening, and retreated when things turned against their favor. Because of this, Akatsuki gained information against Naruto.
- Itachi waited until Orochimaru Scaled Up and then attacked him from the back while he was focused on other things. Pain called out Tobi on using the Box of Ultimate Bliss because having berserk men in their ranks was not pragmatic towards peace.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Kakashi attempt this. Naruto was banished by a mistake and they searched for him for years, they know he's angry too, but he has to go back into the village because he's the Jinchuuriki and everyone from Akatsuki to other villages would be looking to get their hands on a stray one.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: A beautiful one by Gaara to Kakashi.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Hidan and Orochimaru.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Naruto's Fight and Capture by Konoha ended with his new village burning down.
- Hinata ends up being killed by Naruto after sacrificing everything, with hints that her sanity was returning at the end.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil: While not evil per say, when it came to capturing Naruto after he pushed back Kakashi and Sasuke, Tsunade unleashed the big guns. She sent the remaining Konoha 12, Yamato, Asuma, Gai, Kakashi, Jiraiya, Iruka, Shizune, and then she showed up as he went into a partial transformation. He never stood a chance.
- Stepping Stones in the Sky: Gai, using Ningame similar to canon.
- Sword Beam: Naruto, Asuma, and other Samurai.
- Taking the Bullet: Sasuke for took a blow of Naruto while he was still in a coma from Hinata. He survived, but it left him in a bad shape.
- Took A Level In Jerk Ass: Several characters towards Naruto, most for stupid reasons...Except Hinata.
- Traumatic Superpower Awakening: Seeing Itachi die gave Sasuke his Mangekyo Sharingan.
- Unstoppable Rage: Hinata nearly kills Fuu in an attempt to get rid of Naruto while they were planning a retreat and he goes to Six-Tails. Unfortunately, even going to eight didn't help because of the war on three fronts and he was defeated.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Fuu, to Naruto.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: To contrast Tobi's Moon's Eye plan, and Pain's Superweapon plan, Naruto intends to rid the elemental nations of the ability to use chakra entirely, which he acknowledges will cause countless problems and deaths, but ultimately feels is the best solution.