The sea is a wild and dangerous thing, something that cannot be foretold or predicted. Hiccup discovered this many years ago, in human naiveté. Yet, what was meant as a sacrifice became a new life, one like no one could comprehend. He now finds himself once more in the unknowing hands of those that sentenced him to death. He only prays things will be different this time.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Animorphism: By the end, Hiccup pleads to "the Water" to save a wounded Astrid. It then turns her into a mermaid as a result.
- Human Sacrifice: During a famine, the village mobbed in religious frenzy, forcing Stoick to sacrifice the five-year-old Hiccup as an offering to the gods by their request.
- Humanity Ensues: After Astrid officially declares his love, Hiccup ends up going through a chrysallis stage, emerging from it as fully human. It doesn't last.
- Land, Sea, Sky: Astrid, Hiccup and Toothless respectively.
- Mermaid Problem: The gender-flipped equivalent is brought up between Astrid and Hiccup on occasion.
- Our Mermaids Are Different: Mermaids are an all-female race of creatures that have a powerful, hypnotic song and a taste for human flesh (especially men). They lure sailors along, then they snatch them up, mate with them and then eat them. Despite this, they do possess intelligence and personalities close to humans, with the power to embue humans the power to breath underwater through a kiss and the even worship a mystical force they call "the Water", which turned Hiccup, Valka and Astrid into merpeople. Hiccup is currently the only merman in existence.
- Rebellious Princess: Because of Hiccup's sacrifice and the death of Astrid's parents, Stoick adopted Astrid with intentions of making her his successor. The only problem is that she doesn't want to become chief.