In We Were Friends by with-the-villain after a frustrating bout of pro-bending, Korra goes to her favorite Water-Tribe cafe. When a group of Triple Threat Triads try to extort the restaurant's owner, Korra and a fellow patron, a waterbender named Takona, foil the robbery. She and Takona become friends and Korra is fascinated by the kind, worldly waterbender who offers a friendly ear and questions Korra's world view.
Amon wouldn't be recognized without his mask and people would expect for him to have facial scars, so sometimes he goes around Republic City as himself. When bending triads attempt to extort the non-bending cafe owner, he and the Avatar retaliate. The Avatar surprises him by not expecting tribute over her duties and accept her offer of friendship as a way to extort information from her.
Korra and "Takona" become friends and slowly start the other to question things while Korra slowly starts to develop feelings for the older man and Takona learns the human side of the Avatar.
New page, Needs Wiki Magic! Recommended on the Legend of Korra fanfic recommendation page. The cleaned up version can be found here
Has a sequel called The Hunt: The Draft
SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T THE LAST EPISODE OF LEGEND OF KORRA
- And Your Reward Is Edible: the cafe owner, Argun offers Korra free food for her visits. Korra is tempted until she catches that Takona would be disappointed in her if she did.
- Battle Couple: Korra and Takona pull this off before they've even exchanged a word with each other.
- The "Be Careful!" Speech: Takona gives them to Korra, rarely she takes his advice.
- Becoming the Mask: Over time, Takona grows to genuinely care for Korra after pretending to be her friend and try to give her advice to be more careful.
- Bed Trick
- Big Bad Friend: Amon/Takona is the leader of Equalists and the Korra's the Avatar, what did you expect?
- Break the Cutie
- Breather Episode: Most of the fic mostly has Korra and Takona doing normal things like going out to eat, visiting a park and other mundane things.
- But Not Too Black: Takona is lighter-skinned than Korra, which she points out. He replies he's of Mixed Ancestry.
- Comfort Food: Lion-octopus stirfry, kelp dumplings and stewed sea-prunes are what Korra eats when she's upset. Subverted, after she lost her bending and found out who Takona was, she didn't want to eat anything because she used to eat them with Takona.
- The Confidant: Korra confides in Takona about her worries and Takona lends a sympathetic ear. Too bad he's the mole
- Dating Catwoman: When their relationship turned romantic/sexual, Korra and Takona turned into this, but Korra wasn't aware it was this until after the fact.
- Dramatic Irony: Korra feels safe around Takona and feel afraid of Amon when he's with her. Takona constantly warns her to be careful when facing her enemies and she shouldn't so trusting.
- Evil-Detecting Dog: Naga hates Takona.
- Fake Ultimate Hero: Amon initially thought Korra was this, she proves him wrong.
- Female Gaze: Korra is prone to this with Takona or Mako.
- First-Episode Spoiler: You will find in the summary that Amon/Takona is actually Noatak and in the story, Tarrlok's brother.
- Good Feels Good: Korra's feeling about heroics and being the Avatar in general.
- Half Truth: Takona rarely outrights lies to her, most of what he tells her is the technical truth.
- Hormone-Addled Teenager: Korra is nuanced, realistic version of one. Yes, she likes to think about the attractive men she meets and wonders how to attract them. She is also naive, aware that she can be Innocently Insensitive, worries about the Equalists, her friends and her Avatar duties.
- Honey Trap: Takona is an initially platonic version to Korra, odd variation where the leader of the organization, not a Mook, is doing the trapping
- I Don't Want to Ruin Our Friendship: Korra fears she did this with Mako and Bolin.
- I Never Told You My Name
- Intergenerational Friendship: Takona is 40 and Korra is 17, but were good friends
- In Love with the Mark: While not in love with Korra, Amon does develop feelings for her. He tries to warn Korra as Takona to not incite the Equalists.
- Local Hangout: Arguns Arctic Homestyle Cafe, Korra and Takona often eat there.
- Loose Lips: Korra tells Takona about her worries and plans, which Amon uses to his advantage. For example, Korra wonders she should go forward with her suspicions of Hiroshi Sato. Takona tells her she should because whether or not the police finds anything, they might find something. Amon uses the information to help Hiroshi Sato.
- Loves My Alter Ego: Korra has not-so platonic feelings for Takona
- MayDecember Romance
- Making a Splash: Takona.
- The Mole: Amon as Takona became Korra's friend to take information from her.
- More Than Meets the Eye: Takona and Korra experience this.
- Oblivious Guilt Slinging: Amon starts to feel guilty for using Korra, not that it stops him. He tries to warn Korra not to be so trusting and not to trust him.
- Significant Anagram: Takona can be rearranged to Noatak, Amon's real name.
- Stealth Insult: Takona gives one to Korra, although she catches the insult and adjusts her behavior to not to seem greedy.
- Stupid Sexy Friend: Korra tries to think Takona as friend, but also feels attracted to him
- Thinks Like A Romantic Radio Drama: Korra seems to think like this when she's eying Takona's appearance
- The Triads and the Tongs: attempted to extort and destroy the cafe Korra and Amon were eating at.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment
- Was It All a Lie?: Korra wonders to herself when she finds out Takona is Amon
- When He Smiles: Korra's second major impression on "Takona" besides his mastery of waterbendering was his smile, as a result she wants to impress him.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Amon views Korra as one due to her trusting nature.
- A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: The Big Bad is disguised as a waterbender, he is definitely this.