Veritas by Shayne Terry is a Superman fanfic. It's mainly based on Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, although it's a bit bigger than that. The central character is a Clark Kent of an Alternate Universe who rescues a plane in Metropolis, 1993, during a storm. Somehow, he and the plane end up being transported into our universe, specifically Washington D.C. in 2008. Needless to say, a mysterious plane appearing in the capital during The War on Terror is not going to go unnoticed. Now, the governments of the world have to make sense of a situation that seems to blur the line between fact and fiction; and a Clark Kent who has not yet become Superman has to deal with a hostile, paranoid world that may know more about him than he does about himself.
This Fan Fic provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe / The Multiverse - This Clark is somewhat different from the brainchild of Shuster and Siegel, and even from the character in Lois & Clark.
- Awesome Music: In universe. At one point Clark Kent watches Superman: The Movie. The music calls to him.
- General Ripper: One of the military men in charge of the quarantined passengers of the mystery plane is uncomfortably reminiscent of Jason Trask from the first season of Lois & Clark.
- Hope Bringer: One one side we have a cynical, paranoid, post-9/11 world. On the other, Superman.
- Meaningful Name: Once upon a time, two Superman fans decided to name their kid Lois Lane. Yes, she is a (television) reporter. No, she is not happy about her name.
- Named After Somebody Famous / Who Names Their Kid "Dude"? - Once upon a time, two Superman fans decided to name their kid Lois Lane. Yes, she is a (television) reporter. No, she is not happy about her name.
- Ripped from the Headlines - Disasters that Clark encounters or learns about during the fic were real tragedies that occurred either not too long ago (9/11, the flooding of New Orleans during Katrina) or while the fic was being written and posted (the earthquake in China).
- Technology Levels - Played with. Clark's universe is set in 1993, which means he is unfamiliar with 2008 concepts such as cellphone cameras and Youtube. On the other hand, his universe has its share of Mad Scientist types and Applied Phlebotinum, resulting in things our people are surprised by, such as laptops that are much more advanced than a 1993 computer has a right to be.
- Welcome to the Real World: Played for Drama.