"The nine most terrifying words in this language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Veggie Vee is the model bureaucrat: enthusiastic, motivated, and absolutely enamoured with setting the world to rights from the safety of her desk in Canterlot. Being assigned to Ponyville to save her job, therefore, wasn't exactly on her to-do list. The local citizens aren't too happy about it, either. What should have been a simple poster campaign against unhealthy eating swiftly becomes a war of attrition. An incompetent underground resistance attempts to foil her every move, and Veggie's latent megalomania isn't helping. Princess Twilight is nowhere to be seen, and an explosion-happy, candy-loving sugar freedom fighter is on the loose. Everything is about to spiral out of control...
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Beleaguered Assistant: Quango, to Veggie. It's a minor miracle that he's lasted as long as he has.
- Both Sides Have a Point: Veggie wants to promote healthy eating in Ponyville, and Pinkie wants ponies to have the freedom to eat whatever they choose. However, both of them go a little overboard in promoting their message, and Veggie eventually goes off the deep end.
- Cerebus Syndrome: As Veggie gains more and more power over Ponyville, the story becomes decidedly less and less comedic.
- Corrupt Bureaucrat: The threat of losing her job combined with Pinkie's resistance to her efforts causes Veggie Vee to turn into this. She thinks absolutely nothing of abusing her emergency powers left and right if it means lowering Ponyville's sugar consumption.
- Deus Exit Machina: Given how loyal Veggie Vee is to authority, her reign could be ended instantly if either Twilight or Celestia were to step in. It's eventually revealed that Twilight is away on an interdimensional voyage, and Spike is unwilling to go behind Twilight's back to contact Celestia.
- Evil Counterpart: Veggie Vee is often compared to Twilight due to their shared love of order and scheduling, deferrence to authority, and neuroticism. However, Veggie Vee exhibits absolutely none of the good qualities that make Twilight so beloved.
- Evil Vegetarian: Veggie Vee. As she's the head of Equestria's Healthy Eating and Reduction of Obesity Board, her vegetarian lifestyle and eventual villainy are closely linked.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Veggie Vee starts off as a fairly inconsequential civil servant, but eventually seizes control of Ponyville as a tyrannical despot. Rarity even compares her to King Sombra.
- Genre Blind: Veggie Vee is evidently unaware that being a protagonist and being a villain are not mutually exclusive:Applejack: You that desperate to be the villain in somepony else's adventure?Veggie Vee: My adventure! I am the protagonist!
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Each chapter has a three-word title, with each of those words starting with 'V'.
- Knight Templar: Veggie Vee HATES sugary foods with a passion, and believes that the complete eradication of sweets can only be a good thing.
- La Résistance: Pinkie attempts to lead one of these against the perceived sugar ban with... mixed results. Later, after Veggie's megalomania goes out of control, the Mane Six minus Twilight decide to become this in earnest.
- Last-Second Word Swap: Veggie Vee thinks that her mission will be easy. So easy, it'll be a piece of ca- er... fruit.
- Only Sane Man: Quango. Unlike his boss, he's actually a decent pony who can be reasoned with.
- Only in It for the Money/Punch-Clock Villain: The local farmers of Ponyville don't really like Veggie Vee, but support her anyway due to her promising them tax breaks and subsidies.
- Rebel Leader: Pinkie Pie takes on this role in order to challenge Veggie. For extra effect, she refurbishes her Mare-Do-Well costume and takes on a new identity: "Sweet Tooth".
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Quango is the blue to Veggie's red.
- Schedule Fanatic: Veggie Vee, who exceeds even Twilight in this regard. Refusing to deviate from her schedule for even one single minute is ultimately what kicks off the story.
- Stuff Blowing Up: After her first appearance as Sweet Tooth, Pinkie Pie planned to finish her counter-speech against Veggie with a fireworks display. Unfortunately, the fireworks malfunctioned and blew up Applejack's barn.
- Tyrant Takes the Helm: By abusing some obscure laws, Veggie Vee essentially turns Ponyville into a police state under her rule.
- What the Hell, Hero?:
- Applejack gives one to Pinkie for blowing up her barn, however accidental it might have been.
- Pinkie returns the favor by pointing out that Applejack had been helping to threaten her livelihood by supporting Veggie's anti-sugar campaign.