While at a party, Minx is reunited with an old bandmate from Nirvana named Jerry. Jerry, however, isn't as happy to see Minx as he says. He wants revenge for her supposed "teasing" and previous wrongdoings against it. After Jerry tries and fails to rape Minx, Minx begins to withdraw into herself. She doesn't tell her bandmates about the incident. However, Rio notices something amiss with Minx. After he has a fight with his girlfriend Jerrica, he begins getting closer to Minx.
The fanfic is NSFW and has a graphic lemon scene (as well as some graphic descriptions of attempted rape), but the sex scene is at the very end and can be skipped.
UNDERTOW provides examplea of:
- The Alcoholic: Jerry drinks too much, but he's at his tamest when he's buzzed, not sober.
- Attempted Rape: A vengeful former bandmate of Minx's, Jerry, tries to rape her at a party. He's stopped when a security guard walks in on them.
- Creepy Uncle: The step-brother of Minx's father sexually abused her for 2 years, starting at age 10. He was eventually arrested and given treatment.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Minx was abused by her uncle as a child. She's tried to ignore it, but the trauma has effected her into adulthood.
- Dark Fic: The plot revolves around sexual assault and childhood trauma, as well as some issues of fidelity that are more mature than the normal Jem fare.
- Driven to Suicide:
- A past bandmate of Minx killed himself. Due to Minx's reputation as a vamp, rumors began that she drove him to suicide.
- Minx's father only learned about his step-brother's abuse of Minx after Minx attempted suicide at 12.
- Lecherous Stepparent: Minx speculates that her father was abused by his step-dad as children. This is why he Hates Being Touched.
- Maybe Ever After: The ending is ambiguous on whether Minx and Rio will become a couple or not.
- Parental Incest: Minx theorizes that her step-uncle was sexually abused by his father. This is why her uncle abused her as a child.
- Promiscuity After Rape: Downplayed. Minx was sexually abused as a child. Her promiscuity stems as a way of gaining control over the trauma. However, Minx isn't as promiscuous as she seems. She never sleeps with the men she flirts with. She always loses interest before it gets to that point (which all stems from her trauma).
- The Runaway: Minx left home at sixteen to get into music and escape her childhood trauma.
- Slut-Shaming: Minx receives shaming, both from her own internalized feelings as well as from others. She fears coming open about the Attempted Rape because others might claim that she "asked for it".