Twilight Sparkle has lived on the Canterlot Space Station, capital of the Solar Empire, all her life. But can she adapt and make friends when her teacher, Princess Celestia, sends her away to be the new science officer of the spaceship Ponyville on its voyage to explore the galaxy for much needed resources for the war against the Confederacy of Species?
- All Planets Are Earthlike: Averted. For ponies, planets are all Death Worlds. Hence why they live in space stations and only go down for resources.
- Alternate Universe
- Angst Coma: Celestia went into a coma for the first century of the exile due to a combination of the strain of keeping the sun from destroying everything while the evac was going on and the loss of the planet.
- The Captain: Rainbow Dash.
- Cool Spaceship: The Ponyville.
- The End of the World as We Know It: The sun went red giant and engulfed Equestria's planet 15 years after Nightmare Moon was sealed. Most of the population was evacuated, however.
- Generation Ships: Many of the early evac ships have been made into space stations over the years.
- The High Queen: Celestia promoted herself to Queen after the disaster, as the moon (and thus her banished sister) was destroyed with Equestria.
- King in the Mountain: An in-universe example, Celestia was in a century-long coma after the Exodus due to the strain of holding back the Sun from going fully red giant for 15 years.
- Space Opera
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: A near species-wide example. Due to living in enclosed spaces for so long, most ponies are agoraphobic.