The Tooniverse Emissary is a crossover fanfiction written by Finnjr63. It is a retelling of Super Smash Bros. Brawl's story mode, The Subspace Emissary, but instead of video game characters, it's a crossover between various cartoon and anime series.
The Tooniverse is a multiverse containing all of the worlds in which animated series take place. Demeanor, a monster living within the Void located outside of the Tooniverse, wants to destroy all of these worlds but cannot leave the Void to do so himself, so he summons Aku from Samurai Jack and has him steal Felix the Cat's magic bag of tricks, which he then uses to create an army of various mooks to help him. He then has Aku and the newly-created army take over the Island of Art, where all of the toons are created, and has its leader, the Master Painter (renamed the Minister Painter by Demeanor himself), create weapons to use in the invasion. Finally, he has Aku gather villains from other cartoons to help in the invasion. The other toons must now find a way to save the Tooniverse from the rampant destruction Demeanor is causing before it's too late in what is said to be the very first crossover that any cartoons have ever had.
Read it here. The entire thing is 40 chapters long.
This work provides examples of:
- Animate Inanimate Object: The inhabitants of the Island of Art are all sentient versions of art supplies used in the production of animated shows.
- Art Initiates Life: The inhabitants of the Island of Art are art tools which create the cartoon characters who populate the Tooniverse.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Anyone who is infected by an ink-like slime ends up being a soldier for Demeanor's army.
- Captain Ersatz: Demeanor and his various mooks are obviously meant to be Tabuu and the Subspace Emissary enemies.
- Continuity Nod: Several references to small jokes, plot points, etc. from the cartoons from which the characters originate are made. For example, in Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob mentions Puffy Fluffy and Plankton's family makes an appearance, and when the Drawn Together cast appears for the first time, Xander tells Captain Hero "You said you'd take ME to Disneyland!", just like in the Drawn Together movie.
- Disney Death: Demeanor creates a black hole to kill all of the cartoon characters permanently, but some tools from the Island of Art manage to "reboot" the Tooniverse just in time.
- I'm Melting!: Instead of turning into trophies as in The Subspace Emissary, the characters are melted into puddles of lifeless paints, which are then scooped up into vials to prevent anybody from reviving them.
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: Just like its source material, it's a crossover between a ton of series. The one difference here is that it's animated television series instead of video game series.
- Medium Blending: Upon encountering Ladybug for the first time, Ice Bear lampshades how she's animated in CGI in contrast to how he and the others are animated in 2D animation.
- The Man Behind the Man: Demeanor is the one who controls Aku and manipulates the villains.
- Original Character: Demeanor and Master/Minister Painter, as well as the former's monsters and the other inhabitants of the Island of Art, are original characters made specifically for this fanfiction.
- Villain Team-Up: On a massive scale. Demeanor rounds up a bunch of villains from various cartoons to help him take over the Tooniverse.