In the years succeeding the film's story, Maleficent finds her feelings towards her "beastie" Aurora developing into a more romantic nature. Unwilling to confront her feelings in fear that they're unrequited, Maleficent leaves the moors. She, however, can't be away from Aurora for long and comes back sooner than expected.
This fic provides examples of:
- Artistic License Biology: Aurora hit a growth spurt between sixteen and twenty-one. While not impossible, it is rare for girls to grow much after sixteen.
- Chocolate Baby: Maleficent believes that Elsa is the result of her mother cheating with a wandering fairy.
- Coming-of-Age Story: The fic is tagged with "Coming Of Age". It's a coming of age story about Aurora growing into adulthood over a decade.
- Continuation: The story begins after the first film ends.
- Crossover: Maleficent spends a good portion of the second chapter being self-exiled in Frozen's Arendelle.
- Have a Gay Old Time: There's several usages of "queer" as a synonym for "unusual".
- MayflyDecember Romance: Maleficent is a long-lived, if not immortal, fairy while her love Aurora is an ordinary human.
- No Name Given:
- Most crossover characters aren't named and Arendelle itself isn't named.
- Subverted with Elsa. Most of the second chapter avoids her name, but she is eventually referred to by name.
- Shout-Out: Maleficent travels a lot, resulting in a lot of references to other works:
- Maleficent makes reference to an eastern prince who found a lamp, referencing Aladdin.
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire gets mentioned when Maleficent tells Aurora about a legendary kingdom that rised from underwater.
- There's a Land of Oz (or alternatively, a The Wizard of Oz, The Wicked Years, or Wicked) reference when Maleficent mentions going to see about the Wicked Witch of the West.
- Maleficent visits Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon.
- While travelling, Maleficent meets Mulan from the film of the same name.