Chaka and Shani are the twin cubs of Simba and Nala. One day, Shani's curiosity gets the best of her and she enters a cave. There she meets a male cub named Kovu. Unbeknownst to her at the time, Kovu is the son of the previous king Scar.
The Pride That Never Was is a rewrite of The Lion King II: Simba's Pride based on elements that changed in development. It uses early names for several characters and plot points that were removed (or at least rumored to be removed) in development.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Adaptation Name Change:
- Kiara is called "Shani".
- Zira is renamed "Bianca".
- Vitani is named "Shetani".
- Averted with Kovu. Instead of using his prototypical name Nunka/Nuka, he keeps his finalized name.
- Adapted Out: Nuka is removed for pragmatic reasons. The writer felt he wasn't needed and would just add to the large cast.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Timira and her mother Masika are grey lioness'.
- Arranged Marriage: Shortly after being born, Chaka and Timira were betrothed to one another.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: Evolves into this as the pair fall deeply in love.
- Family Eye Resemblance:
- Chaka has Nala's eyes while his sister Shani has their father Simba's eyes.
- Kovu shares Scar's green eyes.
- It's mentioned that Shetani gets her blue eyes from her maternal grandmother.
- Kissing Cousins: Shani and Kovu are love interests despite being first cousins once removed.
- Long-Lost Relative: Simba hadn't known that Zira was pregnant when he exiled her. He doesn't meet his younger cousin Kovu until he's already several months old.
- Patchwork Kids: Chaka has Simba's features but Nala's green eyes.
- Related in the Adaptation: Kovu is Scar's biological son.