Twilight Sparkle receives a mysterious black book written in an ancient script that resists reading. As it turns out, the book contains a powerful curse—and Twilight ends up accidentally casting it on Rainbow Dash.
Dash quickly finds out that she now cannot die—she just pops back to life near her corpse upon dying. Even better, she can feel no pain. But on the negative side... it now seems that fate itself is conspiring to repeatedly kill Rainbow Dash in as many ways as possible—and as grotesquely as possible!
Caution: story contains high levels of gore and violence.
The many tropes of Rainbow Dash:
- Absentee Actor: Rarity is the only one of the Mane Six who is completely absent from this story.
- Black Comedy: A rather comedic fic which revolves around Rainbow getting repeatedly grievously injured and killed.
- Bloody Hilarious: The extreme levels of gore on display, in addition to how nonchalant Rainbow Dash is about the whole thing, make the story either hilariously over-the-top... or utterly sickening.
- Break the Cutie: Fluttershy accidentally witnesses a pile of Rainbow Dash's corpses, and ends up in shock and fainting as a result. Thankfully she eventually brushes it off as a terrible dream.
- Cranium Chase: After Applejack is cursed with having her body parts detach, she ends up having to retrieve her head more than once.
- Death Course: A trap-filled corridor is found in the dungeons under Canterlot.
- Detachment Combat: Applejack ends up cursed with having her limbs and head detach... unfortunately, usually in uncomfortable circumstances.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: If any object has even the slightest possibility of killing Rainbow, it will. Heavy objects tend to fall on her, buildings collapse around her, and she better stay away from anything remotely sharp.
- Eye Scream: Pretty much half of Rainbow Dash's deaths include something grotesque happening to her eyeballs.
- Feel No Pain: Due to the curse, Dash feels no pain, and in fact is numb over all her body and can't feel much of anything. Sometimes she takes a bit of time to realize that she's just been grievously injured.
- Gorn: Each and every of Dash's deaths is highly gory and described in excruciating detail.
- Immortal Life Is Cheap: Rainbow gleefully pulls off a couple of death-defying—or rather, death-causing—stunts soon after learning about her immortality. Later, Applejack and Pinkie Pie have Rainbow guide them through a trap-filled corridor, since she doesn't mind getting repeatedly killed.
- Made of Plasticine: Rainbow gets dismembered a lot with surprising ease.
- Power Incontinence: As a result of a curse put on Twilight, all her spells become overpowered and uncontrollable, with teleport spells that transport her to the middle of the sea instead to the next city over, and magical beams which are more like Disintegrator Rays.
- Resurrective Immortality: Upon dying, Rainbow Dash always reappears in perfect health somewhere next to her corpse. Her dead bodies don't vanish though, which can make things rather awkward.
- Resurrection Teleportation: Rainbow learns to do this, by concentrating hard at the moment of her death in other to reappear in a specific spot of her choosing. She later uses this to get past some metal bars, as well as to kill the Big Bad.
- Rubber Man: A curse cast on Pinkie Pie makes her limbs extremely stretchy.
- Tele-Frag: How Rainbow Dash manages to kill the Big Bad.
- Threatening Shark: When Twilight accidentally teleports herself and the girls to the sea, they soon find themselves attacked by sharks. One shark in particular ends up devouring Rainbow Dash messily twice throughout the story.
- The X of Y: The title.
- You Are Already Dead: During Rainbow Dash's confrontation with the Big Bad, he waves his limbs in the air at blinding speed. Rainbow boasts that she's too fast for him... only for him to ask "Is that a fact?", and Rainbow slowly realize that her body has just been sliced into a couple of slowly falling-apart pieces.