Gobber the Belch has been given a chance to do something he's always dreamed about, visit his mother's homeland and be welcome with open arms. But while Gobber settles in for what should be a pleasant winter, trouble stirs in the Northern Highlands. Can he prove himself to his mother's people or is being the hero a little out of his depth?
This fanfiction series contains examples of:
- Amazon Chaser: Will Macintosh mentions that the reason why he likes Ruffnut is because unlike most Highlander girls - who are usually meek and dainty - Ruffnut is abrasive, in-your-face and is capable of kicking his ass. When Gobber points out that this also sounds like Merida, Will says that this is true with the exception of not being like a sister to him.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Gobber admits that Hiccup's position as heir was questionable, considering Vikings value strength and Hiccup did not have much at the time.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Between Gobber and Maudie, considering he has never actually had anyone who was interested in him.
- Mistaken for Misogynist: When Gobber tells Maudie she cant join their dragon hunting exhibition, she thinks he says that because she is a girl. He points out that he only wants her not to come because she has no battle-experience, especially in dragon-fighting. Especially poignant considering he points out that the "because she's a woman" argument would make no sense since most of the women back on Berk could rip him in half if aggravated. She comes along anyway, considering she can ride a horse and he cannot.
- Reality Ensues: Having lived on a rocky little island his entire life, it only makes sense that Gobber can't ride a horse.
- While the treaty between Berk and the Kingdom of DunBroch have been solidified and confirmed during the events of The Dragon and the Bow, it is still going to take a while for all of the Highlands to warm up to it, as cued by their less than welcoming behavior towards Gobber.
- Shout-Out: A dragon attack in Duloc gets mentioned.