The Grand Reopening is a Crossover/Alternate-Universe fanfic, a sequel/prequel to The Wedding. Like how the previous story is a copy of Mamma Mia!, this one is a copy of Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again. Alongside Gravity Falls, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and Making Fiends, this one includes Mr. Peabody & Sherman characters.
The plot, in short, goes like this: Five years after The Wedding, Pacifica had Violets manor refurbished to honor her after she passes away. We also take a look fifteen years in the past watching Violet graduate from Harvard, travel to Italy, buy the manor, and break up with Duncan.
Main characters: Pacifica Northwest, Penny Peterson, Dipper Pines, Isadora Quagmire, Mabel Pines, Klaus Baudelaire, Duncan Quagmire, Quigley Quagmire, Sherman Peabody, Fiona Widdershins, Charlotte, Vendetta, and Violet Baudelaire.
Tropes that apply to The Grand Reopening:
- Adapted Out: The storm that puts everything to a hold is omitted.
- Advertised Extra: Penny, Sherman, and Fiona.
- Babies Make Everything Better: Pacifica and Penny both have children in this story.
- Bus Crash: Violet, even though she was in perfect health in The Wedding. Word of God says she died from a brain tumor.
- Composite Character: Mabel and Isadora assume the roles of Tanya and Rosie interchangeably. Quigley assumes the roles of Harry and Fernando.
- Continuity Nod: The Baudelaire fortune is mentioned in Chapter Five.
- The Cover Changes the Gender: The subject of "When I Kissed the Teacher" is changed from male to female.
- The Cover Changes the Meaning:
- "I've Been Waiting For You" originally had an ambiguous tone amongst listeners (it was unclear whether it was about someone meeting their True Love, having a revelation over their relationship or if they were a delighted stalker that had finally got their way), but the fanfic changed the lyrics almost completely to be about how Pacifica is looking forward to being a mother.
- Averted with "Andante, Andante", which was originally about playing the piano but the lyrics implied otherwise anyway. The fanfic exploits this as Violet sings it flirtily to Duncan a week into their relationship.
- Not only is the aforementioned "When I Kissed the Teacher" repurposed to be a song about youths finding freedom instead of a Teacher/Student Romance, we also have "Waterloo", which was originally about a woman accepting the fact that she'll never escape a terrible relationship, and is repurposed to be about Quigley "surrendering" to his newfound crush on Fiona and confessing his feelings to her to get her to take his virginity.
- "My Love, My Life" is originally about realizing you're about to break up for good, but in this fanfic, it's about how much your friends care about you, even in death.
- Dance Party Ending: Like the last story, the cast puts on a performance for their audience, including Violet.
- Decomposite Character: Penny and Violet portray Donna, young and old version, respectively.
- Distant Duet: Pacifica and Dipper have one in Chapter Two.
- Flashback: To 2009.
- Ivy League for Everyone: Violet (the valedictorian), Isadora, and Mabel graduate from Harvard University.
- Klaus even goes to Dartmouth College and Isadora went back to school at Columbia University.
- Jukebox Musical: Just like the film its based on.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Just look at that cast list!
- Morning Sickness: Pacifica wakes up the morning of the grand reopening realizing she is pregnant.
- Origins Episode
- Series Continuity Error: In the first story, Violet doesnt understand how Pacifica knew about her breakup with Duncan, but in this story, she is seen comforting her in Chapter Nine.
- Sudden Sequel Death Syndrome: Poor Violet.